USB in Virtualbox (Windows 7)

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Retromaniac
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

USB in Virtualbox (Windows 7)

Post by Retromaniac »

Hi everyone,

I just made a step up from an AS1004 to an AS5110 NAS. On the new device I'd like to use Virtualbox and Windows 7 as a guest-OS.

Problem is: I don't seem to be able to make USB devices work.

Here's what I did so far:

- Installed Virtualbox and Virtualbox Extensions on the NAS
- Created a virtual machine for Windows 7
- Installed Windows 7
- Installed the OS Addition of Virtualbox
- With the virtual machine being off I enabled the USB Controller and USB 2.0 in the VM's settings
- Upon next start of Windows 7, Windows recognized the USB ports and installed necessary drivers

And now I am stuck as I cannot make any USB-device to be recognized by the VM. I set up a blank filter, I restart the VM, I plug in a USB-device – nothing. The USB-device is recognized by the NAS, I can see it in the External Devices section of ADM but it will not show up in Windows. So what am I missing?

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany,
Markus
kipox

Re: USB in Virtualbox (Windows 7)

Post by kipox »

I don't have the answer, but the same problem, so I thought I would "join" your thread.

I have the exact same problem, only I am running Windows 8.1 as virtual OS. Have tried anything I could think of to get my USB DVD showing up in the virtual machine, but no luck so far. Have even tried different USB ports on the machine (based on this cryptic photo... https://www.asustor.com/admv2?type=2&su ... 102&lan=en)..

Regards
Kjell (Norway)

Return to “Virtualization”