Do you want VirtualBox on ADM?

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.
mafredri
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Do you want VirtualBox on ADM?

Post by mafredri »

Hey,

I'm creating this topic because I've seen some interest on running actual VMs on the NAS. However, I don't see myself having much use for this (but I can see some value in it), so I'm wondering who does? Are you interested in running VirtualBox on ADM? And if you are, what would you do with it?

So, serious answers only, please. If you don't know what VirtualBox is, you don't want it. I'm also not interested in investing my time in something that people only want for the sake of having it.

You also should consider that this is pretty much an AS-6 feature only, as the AS-2, AS-3 do not have enough memory to share to VMs.

Cheers,
Mathias
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
Sonn

Re: Do you want VirtualBox on ADM?

Post by Sonn »

Yes I would be very interested interested :) I just ordered a AS7004T and the Virtualbox option would be sweet....

I would like it for some testing of different application's on different OS platforms, could use the unit for more stuff then..:)

I actually holded off purchasing until I no if this feature is in the works..
Last edited by Sonn on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

Me too. i'm interested for the same reasons.
thanks by advance
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
duderuud

Post by duderuud »

Very interested in running VM's! Busy buying a 7004T so more then enough processing power...
AS-7004T
4x 5GB WD RED
8GB memory
marty99

Post by marty99 »

I could definitely use such a feature. I provide online backup services and running a virtual OS on the NAS may be very useful.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
duderuud

Post by duderuud »

Apparently Asustor is aware of this.

Taken from Anantech:
The demo which pleased me the most was the QEMU front-end that is currently a package under beta-testing. Taking a cue from QNAP's Virtualization Station feature, Asustor is developing a package to enable ADM to act as a host OS. We saw multiple flavours of Windows running on top of a Asustor 70 series NAS. The UI is a bit basic compared to Virtualization Station, but, given the beta nature, it can definitely be excused.
Let's hope this will be ready for testing soon because running VM's is what's currently stopping me from buying a 7004
AS-7004T
4x 5GB WD RED
8GB memory
vesperdose

Post by vesperdose »

yes please!
AS-606T - 3GB RAM - 6x WD30EFRX
dexter

Post by dexter »

+1, already having 3 VM clients in VirtualBox, so even if the speed is not super, it will always be better than not having it, when my boxes are online 24/7 anyways, so nice feature to get, if possible!
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

@mafredi

you are working on this project ?

regards and thanks a lot :)
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

damien599901 wrote:you are working on this project ?
I have not yet started work on this project. I first wanted some feedback on what people would use it for and so-far I haven't really gotten anything concrete. The problem with this project is, that if I begin work on it, I want the finished product to be dead-simple for anyone to use. This would also require a lot of testing to get right. It should be no problem copying a ready made VB image to the NAS and spinning it up, but that's all command-line and no automation :)...

So as it stands now, my motivation and time for this project is a bit limited.

You do realize that the machine running on e.g. an AS-6 would be limited to 1 CPU core and depending on how much RAM you have installed, a maximum of 2 GB? If you haven't installed additional RAM, then if you're not running any Xorg services, you could maybe squeeze out an 512MB max. More than that and you're not guaranteed to have a stable system.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)

Return to “Virtualization”