Virtual Machine on 202-TE

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

gianluigi1982
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Virtual Machine on 202-TE

Post by gianluigi1982 »

I'm planning to buy a 202-TE for my home file sharing and storage.
I'd like to know if it's also possible to install a virtual machine like VMWare or similar.

Is it possible? Is there a manual to do that?

Many thanks.
ho66es

Re: Virtual Machine on 202-TE

Post by ho66es »

I believe the answers are no and no :/
608t
dondavis007

Post by dondavis007 »

Its an intel so when someone has got virtualbox up and running with the php-interface you will be able to use it I think. It's possible on qnap and synology I think, but... Its a very slow processor... I have had a 2003 server running on an atom in linux with ssd, but I cant recomend :)
gianluigi1982

Post by gianluigi1982 »

dondavis007 wrote:Its an intel so when someone has got virtualbox up and running with the php-interface you will be able to use it I think. It's possible on qnap and synology I think, but... Its a very slow processor... I have had a 2003 server running on an atom in linux with ssd, but I cant recomend :)
I was thinking exactly what you said.
And I hope there will be someone posting tips to do that.
dondavis007

Post by dondavis007 »

Hopefully we see a lot more tips like this coming. This forum is still small, but my hope is that is changing. I can see practical use for a virtual machine in a nas, as long as the nas itself is fast enough. The dream come trought should to have a bit faster intel and loads of useful app, or hacks. Ive been using all brands inkl openmediavault, and in the mediavault I have had machines running.
desmphil

Post by desmphil »

I use this NAS as NFS server for my ESX 5.1 , im able to run 2-3 low requirements VM for LAB purposes. I also use it for Weekly Backups of my VM using Snapshot.
But otherwise having a SSD local to your Vmware ESX is prefered and way faster..

:D
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

I'm using some of my 608T as an NFS mount for my ESX 5.5. I have all my ISOs on the NAS, rather than duplicating and copying them into the ESX filestore I just mounted the NFS share for them. I also store some backups of VMs on the NAS. Just VMs I'd hate to lose if the ESX array failed.

Return to “Virtualization”