VirtualBox & Linux Mint : unable to activate graphic acceleration

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MilesTEG1
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

VirtualBox & Linux Mint : unable to activate graphic acceleration

Post by MilesTEG1 »

Hello,
I'm trying to get rid of this message in Linux Lint installed in Virtual Box:

Here what settings I have in VB :
But for this last screenshot, I am unable to get this checkbox checked after validating the settings: when I get back here, it's always unchecked...
And 3D acceleration is grayed... so unable to activate it too...

My NAS is Asustor AS6704T. It has an iGPU.

Is there a way to have a graphic acceleration working?
Thanks, in advance.
Miles
Nazar78

Re: VirtualBox & Linux Mint : unable to activate graphic acceleration

Post by Nazar78 »

Try below:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/AppCentral/virtualbox/bin/VBoxManage modifyvm "Linux Mint 20.3 UEFI" --accelerate3d on
The box will still be grayed out but checked.

Note, I've given up using VB on the NAS as the overhead is too much even for non-GUI instances. So I'm not sure if it'll work correctly. I've switched to use LXC (Linux Center), modified to work with Ubuntu Desktop.
Screenshot-2022-11-21-232203.jpg
Screenshot-2022-11-21-232203.jpg (237.71 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
MilesTEG1

Post by MilesTEG1 »

Hello,
I'll try what you suggest :)

But I'm eager to know how you managed to install an Ubuntu in Linux Center and to control it with a remote desktop connection.
MilesTEG1

Post by MilesTEG1 »

Nazar78 wrote:Try below:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/AppCentral/virtualbox/bin/VBoxManage modifyvm "Linux Mint 20.3 UEFI" --accelerate3d on
The box will still be grayed out but checked.

Note, I've given up using VB on the NAS as the overhead is too much even for non-GUI instances. So I'm not sure if it'll work correctly. I've switched to use LXC (Linux Center), modified to work with Ubuntu Desktop.
Screenshot-2022-11-21-232203.jpg
Hello again :)
So I tried the command to activate 3D acceleration...
And now my VM is stuck à 20% boot :

ANd If I tried to connect with remote desktop, ti won't work:

So
I've switched to use LXC (Linux Center), modified to work with Ubuntu Desktop.
How do you managed to do that ?
I had to shutdown VirtualBox by disabling it in ADM, the re-enabling it, the hit "--accelerate3d off" command, to get my VM working again...
It's a fail :lol: :mrgreen:
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I can launch the VM with the 3D acceleration checked, just tested fresh install of Mint 21 MATE, but wasn't able to use any hardware acceleration despite installing the vbox kernel modules via the extension pack.

For LXC, first when I got the NAS and played around, I did a dirty workaround by modifying the apt source from debian 10 to ubuntu 22. Lots of work there, many failures and crashes. But after getting everything working, I started fresh using the proper LXC method to deploy the instance with full privilege to even the udev to gain access to game controllers, snap and such. You can research here, https://linuxcontainers.org/. I could probably create a guide when I'm free but it's already all there.

The RDP was from built in Gnome, works great even with sound in RDP via pipewire which replaced pulseaudio, only that it doesn't scale the display well, black excess borders when in fullscreen (NAS 1080p on PC 1440p), so I just ran in window mode. It also doesn't work with MS RDP Android, got display corruption, so I just use VNC. Best is I have sound when both connected via RDP or HDMI to my TV. Does 4K hardware acceleration without issue. Have a look here of me doing demo game streaming using the Asustor NAS, https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=13001. I've tried playing Street Fighter 5 and Fifa 19 on multi-gamepads without noticeable lag.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
MilesTEG1

Post by MilesTEG1 »

Thanks for your answer :)

It seems to be a bit too difficult for me to follow... And I don't master the Asustor NAS very well...
I think I let go this... an continue using Virtual Box as my Linux in it is isolated from the NAS system files.

Return to “Virtualization”