OpenSource Virtualization

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Nazar78
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: OpenSource Virtualization

Post by Nazar78 »

Asking Asustor to add something to the kernel is likely never gonna happen. Even if it's already in the streamline long ago. They're just forwarded to the engineers then no news. One of the recent two instances I've requested (first was a bluetooth patch) was USB-IP which is not complete, missing some modules. That was many months ago and I still don't see it in the kernel after many new minor/major releases. The solution Asustor support gave was VirtualHere which is not open source. The solution I finally went for was to load the modules in virtualbox running minimal headless distro and it works perfectly. But I wish though I could just load the modules natively without overhead or the hassle of recompiling the kernel everytime there's a new update.

Asustor has already included LXC, Linux Center app in the App Central, but it's implemented in such a way it's difficult to setup a new container unless you go through all the commands. I did however managed to setup LXD based Ubuntu 21.10 with hardware acceleration and fixed audio after few hurdles.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Kletterfreund

Post by Kletterfreund »

Samtzu, you're absolutely right.
The virtualisation in ADM is not good.
I can't install kernel add-ons, USB wireless sticks are not recognised.
I threw out ADM on my AS5304T and installed Proxmox VE. In parallel, Openmediavault as a NAS server.
Runs excellently.
AS5304T - 31GB DDR4 - Internal: 3x8TB Seagate IronWolf RAID5, 1xWD Red SA500 NAS SATA SSD for the applications.
MilesTEG1

Post by MilesTEG1 »

Kletterfreund wrote:Samtzu, you're absolutely right.
The virtualisation in ADM is not good.
I can't install kernel add-ons, USB wireless sticks are not recognised.
I threw out ADM on my AS5304T and installed Proxmox VE. In parallel, Openmediavault as a NAS server.
Runs excellently.
Do you have a walkthrough easy to follow?
I installed Proxmox in a virtual machine with VirtualBox but it's not friendly to use :lol:
majika

Post by majika »

@Kletterfreund,
That sounds like an intresting setup, which is basically what Asustor classes as a 3rd-party OS? Did the steps taken look a little bit like this:-

To install Proxmox via Asustor NAS enter the BIOS to change boot config for loading from USB to get the proxmox-ve image installed as the underlaying hypervisor?
After ProxmoxVE is installed you spun-up a new QMEU/LXC/Container to install OpenMediaVault?

As for the rest of your setup, as in, setting up the storage pools/lvm for RAID support under proxmox this is where i come unstuck.
I sure would like to know how you managed to configure your setup incl. networking vmbr0/ bridge for dual NIC and how you managed to add the M.2 caching disk inside of proxmox/openmediavault..
If i have anymore issues with my Asustor its either being sold or I'll try my hands at this Opensource VM (A guide would be super helpful =)

Return to “Virtualization”