It is currently Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:33 am
All times are UTC + 8 hours

After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.

After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby cj_euler » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:25 pm

I got it to start the installation of Ubuntu 2020.04
But I can see the tiny window of "Preview" of the window. I do NOT see where I can use the window to do the installation.

If I use VirtualBox on a MacBook, the new window should come up as a separate window.
But on this phpVirtualBox, there is no new pop up window, so how do I even proceed?

The top right part has a "Console" button. Should I check on it to see the new VM trying to install Ubuntu?
But right now it says "The Adobe Flash plugin is not installed."

I cannot even find Adobe Flash installation for my Mac. It says "End of Life" on the Adobe page.

Can the ASUSPortal be used to display this VM? If I click on it, it says "Default App" is VirtualBox, but how do I see the new VM?
cj_euler
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:39 am

Re: After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby cj_euler » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:22 pm

how many days do I have to wait for an answer... it seems like there is no Asus customer support looking at the question to resolve problems...
cj_euler
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:39 am

Re: After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby flavict » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:05 am

In your VM setting make sure that you have enabled Remote display.

https://pasteboard.co/JW76d60.jpg

Then you can use a Remote desktop client to have access to your VM desktop display by clicking the port number.

https://pasteboard.co/JW76Pj7.jpg
flavict
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Re: After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby ilike2burnthing » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:21 am

cj_euler wrote:how many days do I have to wait for an answer... it seems like there is no Asus customer support looking at the question to resolve problems...

This is a community forum (users helping other users). If you want support from Asustor directly, use https://support.asustor.com/ but hopefully flavict's post will help you.
ilike2burnthing
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Re: After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby cj_euler » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:32 am

flavict wrote:In your VM setting make sure that you have enabled Remote display.

https://pasteboard.co/JW76d60.jpg

Then you can use a Remote desktop client to have access to your VM desktop display by clicking the port number.

https://pasteboard.co/JW76Pj7.jpg


So I can use Microsoft Remote Desktop on the MacBook to do it? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microsoft ... 1295203466
cj_euler
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:39 am

Re: After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby flavict » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 am

@cj_euler

Yes that is what i use.

Make sure, beside VirtualBox, you must also have VirtualBox Extension Pack and Media-Pack apps installed.
flavict
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Re: After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby cj_euler » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:18 pm

flavict wrote:@cj_euler

Yes that is what i use.

Make sure, beside VirtualBox, you must also have VirtualBox Extension Pack and Media-Pack apps installed.


Uh-huh... I only wanted to have a VM on NAS for fun, and so that I always have a Linux box ready for me to try things out... but looks like as it is, it may be simpler to run the VM on my MacBook... it helps if it has more storage and RAM... and one of my MacBooks is an M1... so it won't work for VM for now.

Do we get sound when we use VM from a NAS? I tried the Synology VM a while ago and it used some kind of software to stream the video to our web browser... but there was no sound. With Asustor NAS VM, can we have sound? But I'd imagine if Asustor can have sound using Remote Desktop, then Synology's probably can also.
cj_euler
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:39 am

Re: After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby cj_euler » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:10 am

cj_euler wrote:
flavict wrote:In your VM setting make sure that you have enabled Remote display.

https://pasteboard.co/JW76d60.jpg

Then you can use a Remote desktop client to have access to your VM desktop display by clicking the port number.

https://pasteboard.co/JW76Pj7.jpg


So I can use Microsoft Remote Desktop on the MacBook to do it? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microsoft ... 1295203466


So I installed Microsoft Remote Desktop, and added the Gateway 192.168.1.92:3338 (for example)... but then it asks for a user name and password -- BUT the thing is, it is just trying to install Ubuntu, so there is no user name or password, and it won't let me go on without typing in a user name or password... I tried username admin and password admin and it doesn't work.
cj_euler
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:39 am

Re: After the installation process of Ubuntu is started, I cannot see the screen

Postby flavict » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 am

To install Ubuntu you need to be connected localy to your NAS (display and keyboard).
flavict
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Return to Virtualization

  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron