Make HDD active - cannot access data

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

koymoy
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Make HDD active - cannot access data

Post by koymoy »

Hi all,

Upgrading capacity (from 2x2tb to 2x4tb) on my as-302t, as 1 ofg the volumes died the other day - did the following:

1: Removed dead disk and plugged in one of the new 4tb disks. Backed up important data from disk 1 (2tb) to new disk 2. The new drive was added and formatted by ADM, and visible.
2: Removed old functioning 2tb disk and replaced it with new 4tb disk. Did the whole setup thing from scratch - and now, disk 2 is showing up as Inactive and not accessible by the NAS??

If i put back the old "system"-disk, it works as before, and i can see the backed up data on disk 2. I thought, that as long the disk was "created" by ADM i could migrate it to a new system, with no hassle? and yes, i'm not running raid or anything - just a daredevil storage-solution, with no backup :)

It seems pretty stupid, that i have to buy ANOTHER external drive to put the wanted data back and forth? Anyone with good suggestions/solutions on the topic?

thx in advance :)

br.
Christian
Antonios

Re: Make HDD active - cannot access data

Post by Antonios »

before taking step 2,

if you remove the 2tb HDD, does the NAS startup with only the 4Tb?

if you place the 4Tb into the slot where the working 2tb (now removed) was, does the NAS startup?
orion

Re: Make HDD active - cannot access data

Post by orion »

Asustor seems only supporting RAID migration: https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=352

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”