Additional HDD question

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Talostan72
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Additional HDD question

Post by Talostan72 »

Hi New to the forum but I've been an Ausustor novice user for a number of years so HI!

My question is... I currently own an AS6204T and prior to that I was using an AS3202 ( i think, it still in my AV cupboard collecting dust) So when I upgraded I simply hot swapped the 2 drives to the new unit (3TB in raid 1). I'm starting to run out of room and I'm keen to use the 4 bay capability of the new NAS. Ideally, id like to increase the size of the HDD to maybe 6tb x 4 running raid 1 essentially giving me 12tb in total.

The only way I can see this working is by firing up the old NAS and hot swapping back into there and then transferring all the data over to the 6204 with the 12tb of storage? IS there another way?

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend everyone :D
orion

Re: Additional HDD question

Post by orion »

I'll recommend you to set to RAID-5 with 4 * 6-TB disks. In this way, you'll get 18TB in total after done.

If your AS3202 is still working fine, I think the best way is to copy data from the old NAS to the new NAS by means of 1GbE network. You can save much more time. However, you'll need to setup all account information, shared folders and applications in the new NAS again.

The other way is to do migration: RAID-1 (2 * 3TB disks) -> RAID-1 (2 * 6TB disks) -> RAID-5 (3 * 6TB disks) -> RAID-5 (4 * 6TB disks). It should take much longer time to complete the task. The good thing is that you can keep all of the settings without modifications. You can refer to the anchor for more detailed operations: https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=352
Talostan72

Re: Additional HDD question

Post by Talostan72 »

hey Man! Thanks for the great information. Really helpful :D

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”