Cannot Access AS-604T Path not found

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

deepthought
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Cannot Access AS-604T Path not found

Post by deepthought »

Hello,
I've just joined in the hope of getting some idea as to what is going on with my AS-604T. I have four disks, 3 in a Raid 5 Array with one faulty disk in drive one but I don't think it has failed catastrophically. I am able to login online but cannot update the firmware or access any of the files or my data although I can see the root file names. The system status LED is dark red. All the hard drives LEDs are green although as they are no longer accessible I guess that’s irrelevant. The fourth drive was set up as an archive and I cannot see that at all? It just says Volume 1 is inaccessible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
orion

Re: Cannot Access AS-604T Path not found

Post by orion »

I guess that there are 2 disk errors happened in your RAID-5 volume. If you can login to NAS system, you can check files "/proc/mdstat" and dump system kernel messages by "dmesg". There should be detailed clues.
Oh, by the way, NAS OS should be mirroring to all of disks. That's why you can access ADM web UI to get volume status (inaccessible).
deepthought

Post by deepthought »

Thanks for the reply, I was certain the 4th disk wasn’t included in the volume but it says Volume 1 "raid level 5, disk 1,2,3,4". I can login to the NAS system with ssh but haven't managed to dump the Kernel messages. I was hoping that I could recover the volume and have raid rebuild it. On the storage manager ap, the only option is to "remove" the volume, create, management and spare are all inaccessible button options. How can I rebuild the volume? Stupidly, It does have a portion of data that I haven't backed up anywhere else, so I have 4 x 3TB drives that I can't use until I recover it. Looking at the log, in system info, it appears the only error is a media error with disk one. I have a feeling that something more is happening than a drive 1 failure? The fault occurred sometime after I allowed my significant other to back up her photos from her phone to the NAS but that may have just been the final straw that tipped the drive to finally conk out. I also had a windows 10 update on my laptop around the same time. Windows gives me Error 0x80070035 ‘the network path was not found’. Whereas Ubuntu just can’t see the NAS at all. Thanks again.
you can check files "/proc/mdstat"

Code: Select all

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md126 : active raid1 sdb3[6] sda3[4] sdc3[5] sdd3[7]
      2096064 blocks super 1.2 [4/4] [UUUU]

md0 : active raid1 sdc2[5]
      2096064 blocks super 1.2 [4/1] [__U_]

unused devices: <none>
orion

Post by orion »

You can try to assemble md device to get data back if disks are working fine. Here is the command to get information about raid volumes.

mdadm --examine /dev/sd?4
The same "Array UUID" means that those disks should be on the same raid volume. You can try the command to assemble it.

mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 <the device list of your RAID-5 disks>
You can mount /dev/md1 if you get successful result on the previous command.

EDIT: You'd better to send a support request to asustor in case that you cannot recover it manually. https://support.asustor.com/
deepthought

Post by deepthought »

admin@?:/ $ sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
        Version : 1.2
  Creation Time : Sat Jul 25 12:07:53 2015
     Raid Level : raid1
     Array Size : 2096064 (2047.28 MiB 2146.37 MB)
  Used Dev Size : 2096064 (2047.28 MiB 2146.37 MB)
   Raid Devices : 4
  Total Devices : 2
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Fri Jun  8 17:29:04 2018
          State : clean, degraded
 Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 2
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

Name : AS-604T-5912:0
           UUID : 78589744:ee6237fb:b2b77070:941d3984
         Events : 101701

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       4       8       49        0      active sync   /dev/sdd1
       2       0        0        2      removed
       5       8       34        2      active sync   /dev/sdc2
       6       0        0        6      removed
admin@?:/ $
It says Raid level 1. I was thinking of trying to add another disk as a spare, so 4 disks in total.https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04 I understand that it should begin to rebuild itself with the new spare but if it's raid 1 then I'm up the creek aren't I? I still don't understand why I can't access the archive volume which was in bay 4 or add a spare disk to volume 1 using the button on the online console? Thanks again..
orion

Post by orion »

"md0" should be volume 0 which is used by ADM OS. If you don't know how to use mdadm, it will be too complex for you to recover it by yourselves. Sending a support request to asustor is what you should do.
deepthought

Post by deepthought »

Hello again, just an update and a thanks. I did manage to retrieve all my data thanks to some major help from Asustor support. We managed to add a spare disk then copy over the data to an archive disk, all in all it took about 3 weeks of toing and froing messages between time zones there were momernts when I thought my data was doomed but to my relief it was all still there after a rebuild. I am very grateful to the guy at customer support and yourself for the help and time taken. I will have 3 backups of everything from now on. Thanks :)

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”