Remote Backup from Windows

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

tommpa
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Remote Backup from Windows

Post by tommpa »

Hi,

I have an Asustor 3102T located remotely (with a dynamic IP) that I want to use as a backup for my computer running Windows 10. I was under the impression that I should be able to connect to the NAS remotely through Backup Plan and a Cloud ID. However, once in Backup Plan I cannot find a way to connect to the NAS using the Cloud ID. I can use static IP:s and/or a server adress but I was hoping not to have to resort to using dynamic DNS services and setting up port forwarding etc like I've done in the past.

One way I tried was using the EZ Connect software to 'map a folder on the NAS as a network drive' which then becomes available like a local drive. Then setting up Backup Plan to 'backup locally' onto that network drive. However that feels like a bad work around and not the way the problem should have been solved. Already in less than 24h the 'solution' stopped working because EZ Connect's mount stopped working - so not the stable automatic backup solution I was hoping for.

I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I've tried googling and haven't been able to find a guide on how it should be done using the native softwares.

Thank you.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”