Remote syncing easy and secure?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

carlosalfaro
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Remote syncing easy and secure?

Post by carlosalfaro »

I do not own an asustor at the moment. I have read that rsync is suported with some problems maybe?

I am interested on anyone having experience and how they feel about it, does it work effectively? is it secure?

I am currently using cloud backup but would like a remote location I can control. I have access to a location about 20 minutes from me where I can install another synology and I can drive there if there is a problem. Any help will be appreciated.

FYI I am looking to sync about 80k files, mostly pictures and a few documents. any known limitations with number of files?
orion

Re: Remote syncing easy and secure?

Post by orion »

Not sure what you mean about "easy". But it can be secured enough if you enable encrypted transmission.

I'm not sure what's the limitation on file number. However, most of the tools (server / client) are open source. You'll need to install a tool on PC side too (server or client side that depend on the transmission direction). Nowadays, it should be able to handle many files. Hope the other guys here can share this magic number.
carlosalfaro

Post by carlosalfaro »

orion wrote:Not sure what you mean about "easy". But it can be secured enough if you enable encrypted transmission.

I'm not sure what's the limitation on file number. However, most of the tools (server / client) are open source. You'll need to install a tool on PC side too (server or client side that depend on the transmission direction). Nowadays, it should be able to handle many files. Hope the other guys here can share this magic number.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

My goal is to put one asustor in location 1 and another in location 2. I have a few PC's and devices but I would make sure I put only what I want backed up in the asustor in Location 1 so it can be safely stored / mirrored / backed up to location 2. I will keep a cloud backup but I like the security of a locally (relatively close) copy.

Thanks.

By the way, I was not aware of a piece of software to be installed in my PC? what would that be?

thanks again
orion

Post by orion »

carlosalfaro wrote: Thanks for the prompt reply.

My goal is to put one asustor in location 1 and another in location 2. I have a few PC's and devices but I would make sure I put only what I want backed up in the asustor in Location 1 so it can be safely stored / mirrored / backed up to location 2. I will keep a cloud backup but I like the security of a locally (relatively close) copy.

Thanks.

By the way, I was not aware of a piece of software to be installed in my PC? what would that be?

thanks again
Ok, if you put the same brand NAS on both locations, that should be much "easier". There is an option to select Asustor NAS in ADM web page -> Backup & Restore. One is server role, the other one should be client role. I think you can check this UI function on NAS demo unit from asustor official web site. ADM -> Service -> RSync server is server role. ADM -> Backup & Restore is client role.

In case that you want: PC --> NAS or NAS --> PC, you'll need to install RSync software to your PC. DeltaCopy is a good one. Anyway, you don't need this software for your case.
carlosalfaro

Post by carlosalfaro »

orion wrote:
carlosalfaro wrote: Thanks for the prompt reply.

Thanks.

thanks again
Ok, if you put the same brand NAS on both locations, that should be much "easier". There is an option to select Asustor NAS in ADM web page -> Backup & Restore. One is server role, the other one should be client role. I think you can check this UI function on NAS demo unit from asustor official web site. ADM -> Service -> RSync server is server role. ADM -> Backup & Restore is client role.

In case that you want: PC --> NAS or NAS --> PC, you'll need to install RSync software to your PC. DeltaCopy is a good one. Anyway, you don't need this software for your case.
Fantastic, I will check it now, I think this will fit the bill just as I need.

Thank you very much for your help.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”