Versioning Backup

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Clouds
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Versioning Backup

Post by Clouds »

Someone can tell me if there are backup tools, for asusutor, that provide a versioning backup
Thanks
Claudio
sksbir

Re: Versioning Backup

Post by sksbir »

hi
something like this ?
Clouds

Post by Clouds »

Not exactly like that solution (is the my actually solution) but in versioning i must choose how many version of file i want to maintain and the backup every time do a backup only for the files that was changed since the last backup. Example if i choose 12 version of files and i do a backup every month, and every month i change the file myaccount.doc, at the end of the year i have 12 copy of file myaccount.doc to choose for restoring and only 1 copy for the files neverchanged.doc ...
This backup solution in implemented in sysnology and qnap
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

That's a nice feature, but I'm afraid I never have seen that by Asustor.
kalashbr

Post by kalashbr »

I`m tring to find the same of you.... this is one very important feature.
My idea is in the start of the week do one full backup and all next days of the week only backup the modificated files in one new folder (by date)... so if happened something in files (corrupted, wrong alteration, ransomware) i will have other versions of files... and doing more than one backup alternatively is not a option, because i have a almost 8tb in my NAS... and i think that doing for exemple 2 backup alternatively by date is dangerous, because if you dont identify the problem in the file at time, the "good version" of it will be overwritten in next day...
This work around suppose to be safe if you create for exemple schedule one backup for each date of week, but i suppose to have 7 external drive with 8 tb (very expensive) to do this job and will have a problem, because i could not maintain all drivers connected in NAS, so i suppose to changing manually during the week.
Please, someone help me... is not possible that only me and "Clouds" have this need. What everybody do for this case? When i bought this NAS i have checked before that it have "Incremental Backup" option and i was relieved, because during many many years i used incremental backup and the softwares save modificateds files in news folders in each backup run...
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

There maybe a lead with network recycle bin. At least, you will have one ( only one thus ) older version of your file.

incremental backup and versioning backup are not same.

a clue using rsync : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/381 ... -overwrite
After that, rsync is available from console
TK_85

Post by TK_85 »

Any update on this?

I'm also urgently in the need of version backup. In the meanwhile I have a daily backup job scheduled, but this means my data is stored 8 times on the NAS => very expensive backup!

It cannot be that an option like this is missing in a year like 2018, right?!

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”