[Solved] Adding Additional Drives to RAID0 Setup

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

steamship
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[Solved] Adding Additional Drives to RAID0 Setup

Post by steamship »

I have a AS-604T which has 2x6TB drives in it configured as RAID0. In the next few weeks I'm hoping to purchase another pair of 6TB drives to add to the NAS.

I've been searching through the forum and reading various PDFs, but can't find anything specific to upgrading a RAID0 configuration.

Would I be right in saying that I just insert the new drives, go into the Storage Manager, select the two new drives and have some option to add them to the existing RAID0 array? That seems to be the way that other upgrades to various RAID types are explained, but is it that simple? I'll be backing up the existing data anyway prior to the upgrade, but was just crossing my fingers that I don't have to reinitialise the entire RAID array and then have to do a full restore.
Last edited by steamship on Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easy555

Re: Adding Additional Drives to RAID0 Setup

Post by Easy555 »

Hi steamship,

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is possible to expand the RAID 0 volume. You might have to just create a separate volume with the new disks or reinitialize.

You can check the table here:
https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=352

RAID 0 doesn't seem to be listed.
steamship

Post by steamship »

Cheers Easy555

I went through that link as well and noticed the absence of RAID0, and was suspecting I'd have to reinitialise the entire array. Ah well, the backup gets done anyway on a regular basis, so when I get the new drives, I'll just wait until I do the backup and then reinitialise the lot, followed by the restore.
steamship

Post by steamship »

Thought I would give an update on this now I've got the new HDDs.

As Easy555 stated, there is no way to add drives to a RAID0 setup. So, in order to use all 4 drives in a RAID0 setup, I had to delete the existing array, and initialise all four drives. There is a warning given that when deleting an array, that all applications installed will be deleted as well. Just as well, as I had two website designs sitting there which would have disappeared.

I also updated to the latest firmware as well, but now have issues not being able to install some apps that I had before, which I'll post about in a new thread.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”