Sync two Asustor NAS with RSYNC

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Merlino
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Sync two Asustor NAS with RSYNC

Post by Merlino »

hi all.
I have two nas AS3202T, une in Office and one at home. The NAS at office is for working, the one at home is for night backup.
I've prepared a backup with rsync from the NAS at Office to the NAS at home. At home I have open the port 873 in the router at home.
But I received some email from system with errors (see images) that said "unable to connect to server". But now, if I try to start the rsync process manually, it works!
Another

Any help is welcome, tnx in advance
MikeG.6.5

Re: Sync two Asustor NAS with RSYNC

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You are going to need the ports on both the office and home routers open for this to work. Rsync does do data in both directions. Unless ports are opened on both ends this is likely to fail, since the remote (home) can't "talk back" to the local (work) machine to tell it what files it needs, etc.

The easiest way I found to get this all working is the set it up with both machines local to each other, run a test. Then you have at least one full backup of the data at the current state. Then move the remote to it's new home and set up another test. Ensure ports are open and schedule a SMALL back up to happen so you can watch it taking place.
sksbir

Re: Sync two Asustor NAS with RSYNC

Post by sksbir »

Hi
I'm working on a similar configuration with 2 NAS from Asustor.

Things are a little bit more complex than you says.
- you have a rsync client and a rsync server
- from client side you can initiate a backup from local to remote or from remote to local.

opening ports is important for server side : you have to open the port specified in ADM --> services --> rsync server.
some basic explanations here : http://download.asustor.com/college/en/ ... Rsync).pdf

If you plan to use ssh, you must know important things that Asustor hide ( Is asustor ashamed of its shortcomings? ) :
- because of root limitation with ssh, you MUST use root+admin password while editing backup job on client side --> use encrypted transmission...
- while using GUI to create your backup job, even if 'use encrypted transmission' is checked, GUI will not use encrypted channel to get informations from remote NAS : even with 'tototititata' has username/password in encrypted transmission parameters, you will see remote side with success.. of course, backup will fail...

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”