Cloud Backup anywhere else than S3

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

morphet
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Cloud Backup anywhere else than S3

Post by morphet »

Hello everyone,

I would really like to buy an Asustor NAS but I have an issue. I would like to backup several folder (images, videos, files) from the NAS to the cloud, but it seems we can only use S3 for this.... Is it still the case ? Will we have cloud backup with Hubic ?

I know there is Sync for Hubic, but this is only to sync one folder, and this is not what I want. I want to backup every important part of my volume in case of fire, thief, etc...

Does anyone has any feedback on how to backup specific folders on the cloud without S3 ?
Will Asustor support other clouds than S3 in the near future ?

Thank you for your help !
orion

Re: Cloud Backup anywhere else than S3

Post by orion »

Not sure what you want. However, as I know, there are some cloud backup applications: HiDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive, ... You'd better to find if there is a suitable one for you from demo site. https://www.asustor.com/live_demo (simply search applications under AppCentral)
morphet

Post by morphet »

Thanks, but actually they are just synchronization apps : you can sychnronize your cloud account with a local folder.
What I want is backup local folders to cloud, just like you can do it using the Cloud Backup app (also available in the demo). But this one only works with S3 in demo... I don't know if next versions of ADM will add more services for cloud backup.
orion

Post by orion »

morphet wrote:Thanks, but actually they are just synchronization apps : you can sychnronize your cloud account with a local folder.
What I want is backup local folders to cloud, just like you can do it using the Cloud Backup app (also available in the demo). But this one only works with S3 in demo... I don't know if next versions of ADM will add more services for cloud backup.
Sounds that you are familiar with those quite well. I'm curious what is the difference between "synchronize" and "backup". Is it the same as backup that you do one-way synchronization? From my understanding, synchronization provide more functions than backup, isn't it?
morphet

Post by morphet »

One way syncho would be perfect for a backup, even having the files unencrypted. But the "sync" software on ADM will only have 1 task : sync 1 folder locally with a cloud provider. I want multiple tasks, like Duplicati, but not sure Duplicati works well.
morphet

Post by morphet »

Actually I'm thinking about synchronizing a local folder in which I will simply put symbolic links to the folders I want to sync. That's all. Should work !
pafer

Post by pafer »

I'm probably just not smart enough to figure it out, but I tried an external backup (to an attached USB drive) using a bunch of symlinks created using WinSCP but it just backed up the symlinks themselves!
:?

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”