Failed disk in raid 1 NAS

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Botryllus
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Failed disk in raid 1 NAS

Post by Botryllus »

Hi-
I have a failed disk that is raid1. Before swapping it out with a new disk, is there anything I need to know? How do I make sure that when I replace disk 1, everything from Disk2 is transferred? Does it happen automatically?
Also, if there were any corrupted files due to disk 1 failure, those failures wouldn't be duplicated on disk 2, correct?
Thanks in advance.
orion

Re: Failed disk in raid 1 NAS

Post by orion »

Correct. You can simply remove the bad disk and insert the new disk to NAS when NAS is active normally. NAS should synchronize your data automatically. You can see the progress in ADM web page. However you might lose your data if your another disk fails during RAID rebuilding. But the possibility is quite low.

I won't worry about corrupted files that are caused by the failed disk. Disk actually encode data in a quite safe way (with multiple-bit-correction capability). Although it's not perfect in every condition, I usually treat the possibility of disk content inconsistency (I mean no errors detected) being zero.
sltan32

Post by sltan32 »

Hi, I've just encountered another hard disk failure with my WD Red NAS which is configured in Raid 1 (This is my 3rd hard disk failure within 2 years, I'm not going to buy any WD hard disk anymore), only this time, after I took out my failed hard disk, the NAS went into initialization mode. I've to put back the failed drive in order for the NAS to be running normally although without RAID 1. I thought it could be the failed drive issue and proceeded to send the failed drive back to WD in exchange for a new one, however, after replacing the new drive, my NAS was unable to restart normally and persistently went into the initialization mode.

This is really a bad experience as Raid 1 is supposed to prevent such issues from happening... I reported the issue and the technical team responded to my email and requested me to install team viewer so that they can trouble shoot, but after that they just never responded to my email again...
orion

Post by orion »

sltan32 wrote:Hi, I've just encountered another hard disk failure with my WD Red NAS which is configured in Raid 1 (This is my 3rd hard disk failure within 2 years, I'm not going to buy any WD hard disk anymore), only this time, after I took out my failed hard disk, the NAS went into initialization mode. I've to put back the failed drive in order for the NAS to be running normally although without RAID 1. I thought it could be the failed drive issue and proceeded to send the failed drive back to WD in exchange for a new one, however, after replacing the new drive, my NAS was unable to restart normally and persistently went into the initialization mode.

This is really a bad experience as Raid 1 is supposed to prevent such issues from happening... I reported the issue and the technical team responded to my email and requested me to install team viewer so that they can trouble shoot, but after that they just never responded to my email again...
I wonder something could be wrong about the step that you did: "after I took out my failed hard disk, the NAS went into initialization mode." Did you restart your NAS? Normally you'll see initialization wizard when NAS just started and detected no available HDD volumes. So I guess you unplug the wrong HDD, then turn NAS off and on. That could result in volume damaged. However I believe it's recoverable manually (based on Linux and md). You should keep the current NAS status without any other actions and wait for asustor's support.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”