Migration AS304T -> AS6210T

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Hard-Boiled
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Migration AS304T -> AS6210T

Post by Hard-Boiled »

Hi,
I do intend to migrate my AS304T to an AS6210T NAS :

At the moment the AS304T has
- 4 disks with 4TB organized in a RAID5

Looking for suggestions, how to migrate and setup the AS6210T, the idea is :
Step 1) simply take the 4 disk from the AS304T and took them into the new NAS. This should keep all the data and the RAID5
Step 2) mount additionally 3 new disks with 4TB (same type as others)
Step 3) increase RAID5 from 4 to 7 disks (this should keep all the data)
Step 4) mount additionally 3 disks a 4 TB , 2 as MyArchives (maybe used to take backups from the RAID) and 1 as spare

Does this sound good to you ? All ideas or recommendations welcome ?
Thanks!
orion

Re: Migration AS304T -> AS6210T

Post by orion »

It sounds pretty good. Another choice is to migrate to RAID-6 volume for these 7 disks. However RAID-5 (7 disks) with one spare disk is good enough.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Hard-Boiled,

You also need to re-install apps if they were installed as a 32-bit application. Some application may not start on your new 64-bit NAS. This should be fairly straight forward.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
Hard-Boiled

Post by Hard-Boiled »

Hi Orion, Hi Kapitein Haak,
many thanks for your help and quick replies.... ;-)

This is a good hint for re-installing the apps !

Is it correct to assume, that OS and Apps are stored at first disk drive ? Which brings me to a question, since i have a RAID-5, and if the first disk drive Fails (with OS and Apps) how can i replace the failed disk with a spare-disk, if there is no OS at the remaining disks ?

Thanks !
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

If you have Raid-5 going now, all of the disks contain the OS and apps, mirroring the first.

And yes, I know, Raid-5 doesn't do mirroring, traditionally. Except for system stuff. Apps and the OS are cloned (mirrored) across all of the drives in question. You can lose any drive in the array and be able to rebuild it, hopefully before you suffer another MTB failures on the other drives as a result of the rebuild. The highest risk of losing your data is during the rebuild process, so you want to make sure you backed up critical data prior to rebuilding, if you lose a disk in the array.

HTH
orion

Post by orion »

OS is mirrored onto each disk (one partition). Application locates on volume-1 (RAID-5 volume in your case). So you don't need to worry about it.
Hard-Boiled

Post by Hard-Boiled »

Hi guys, thanks for the help.

In the meantime the NAS arrived and was initally setUp by autoconfigurtion to a RAID-5 with the available 8 drives (2 drives i want to use for myArchive-functions are not mounted yet). No data yet on the drives.

I'm looking now to migrate this RAID-6, seems to be more save.

RAID-Migration-guide says, i need to use Storage-Manager and there use the "Management"-Button.

In Storage-Manager i do see Volume-1 with 8 drives running in RAID-5, however, the "Management"-button is disabled. Only button enabled is "Remove". According to RAID-Migration-Guide i should be able to use the Management-button.

All advises appreciated, thanks
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Hard-Boiled,

You will need to remove the Volume-1. Raid-5 will use one drive for rebuild data, Raid-6 will use two drives for rebuild data (and can suffer two failed drives). The data of seven drives will not fit on a volume of six data drives.
After deleting the Volume-1, you can create a Raid-6 volume.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
orion

Post by orion »

Hard-Boiled wrote:Hi guys, thanks for the help.

In the meantime the NAS arrived and was initally setUp by autoconfigurtion to a RAID-5 with the available 8 drives (2 drives i want to use for myArchive-functions are not mounted yet). No data yet on the drives.

I'm looking now to migrate this RAID-6, seems to be more save.

RAID-Migration-guide says, i need to use Storage-Manager and there use the "Management"-Button.

In Storage-Manager i do see Volume-1 with 8 drives running in RAID-5, however, the "Management"-button is disabled. Only button enabled is "Remove". According to RAID-Migration-Guide i should be able to use the Management-button.

All advises appreciated, thanks
Do you mean that you put 8 new disks to your new NAS, rather than moving your old AS304T disks to the new NAS? Anyway, you need to wait for RAID-5 volume being built completed. Then you can migrate to RAID-6 volume.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”