Backup to MyArchive seems very slow

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
kevmeist
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup to MyArchive seems very slow

Post by kevmeist »

I have just purchased an AS6204T. I have 3 * 4 TB HGST drives installed and a MyArchive disk setup in Bay 4 for backups.

I have around 600GB of data to backup. So far, the backup is 23% complete after taking 110 minutes.

This seems very slow to me.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kevin
orion

Re: Backup to MyArchive seems very slow

Post by orion »

Oops, it seems that you posted the same issue twice. http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8265
kevmeist

Post by kevmeist »

Well, I posted this one and then went and "introduced" myself on the forums.

K
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Kevmeist,

The data transfer depends on the size of the files being copied. If the 600GB consists of a large number of small files, the data throughput will drop.
If you need it as an archive, you can configure it to only copy the changes after the last sync.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
kevmeist

Post by kevmeist »

I misspoke about the size of data. It is about 428GB. Regardless of small files (I'm sure some of these exist on the NAS)...BUT taking 9 hours to backup 428GB is ridiculous, My current Windows Home Server dumps the same data to an external ESATA device in about 20 minutes. It didn't help that at 75%, I had a power cut which aborted the backup. The NAS wasn't on the UPS at that time, but the WHS was removed and the NAS now runs on the UPS.
kevmeist

Post by kevmeist »

Well, the external backup of the 428GB took around 8 hours.

Then, I decided to do the internal backup to the MyArchive disk in Bay 4 again (as yesterday was aborted due to the power glitch).

I “removed” the aborted backup and removed the MyArchive” disk with the ASUS Storage Manager and set it up again from scratch.

Now, the backup to the “MyArchive” disk in Bay4 of the 428GB took only about 68 minutes (when using EXT4).

I just don’t understand it…really weird.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”