Backup Plan can't backup to NAS

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
badomen
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup Plan can't backup to NAS

Post by badomen »

Hello, I have been trying to set up Backup Plan to run scheduled backups to my AS5002T, but so far all I get from its log is "Could not connect to server: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
Also, when setting up the plan, I can only choose the Public folder to save my backups - still, nothing gets saved there, the backup fails before it starts.

In order to avoid conflict (I know I can't have the same account running two connections), I have created an account on ADM specifically for this, with the same RW permissions all over, just like the Admin account.

I disabled my firewall and got the same results. I also disabled the Guest account and rebooted the NAS.

When creating the plan, the username and account pass the verification. When it gets to "choose a folder" though, it tends to get stuck. When it doesn't get stuck, it only shows Public.

I am out of ideas here. Should I forward some port? Disable samba (which works, by the way, my shares on Windows are all fine)?

Any tips are very welcome. I run Windows 7 64-bit.
Thanks a lot!!
orion

Re: Backup Plan can't backup to NAS

Post by orion »

Ok, it's a typical issue. I believe you connected to your NAS by guest before. You can check if it's true by ADM web page -> System Information -> Online User. You should see a "guest" SAMBA connection.

How to get rid of it? There are several ways. I'll recommend you to disable "guest" account under ADM web page -> Access Control -> Local Users -> guest -> Edit -> Disable this account. By this way, you'll need to input user name and password for the connection.
badomen

Post by badomen »

Thanks Orion, but as I mentioned before, I did exactly that. I actually read your answer to another guy in this forum and tried that before writing here.

The Online User log had no guest account, only Admin. I haven't used a Guest account in this NAS for quite a while now, to be honest. Just Admin, and this new admin account I created for backups.
There were actually two Admin connections under Online user, one samba, one http.

But still, I disabled the Guest account entirely before rebooting the NAS and trying again. Still no dice.

When I create Backup Plans, the admin username and password are accepted, but I can only save to Public folder, and even so the backup won't connect when I try to run it.
orion

Post by orion »

Oops, you surprised me. Mine is working fine (My PC is Windows-7 64-bit environment too).
Do you run backup plan on the same local network as your NAS? Can you map a network drive from NAS to your PC (with admin account)? If all yes, I have no ideas about this weird problem. I think you should send a support request to asustor to check it. http://support.asustor.com/

EDIT: if you get the answer, can you share with us? I'm quite curious about it.
badomen

Post by badomen »

Thanks for your help, Orion. So I talked to support, we tried a few fixes but nothing changed. It finally got solved once we installed a beta version of the new app update.
orion

Post by orion »

badomen, thanks for sharing the result.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”