Backup From NAS To Two External Hard Drives

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
maineiac13
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup From NAS To Two External Hard Drives

Post by maineiac13 »

I recently purchased an AS3104T and now want to start backing up the files on the NAS. The NAS currently has a total of about 6.5TB of information and I have two external 5TB HDDs which I want to use for that purpose. Preferably, I would like those HDDs to be connected to my PC (on the same network of course as the NAS) and then set up a backup plan to periodically backup the NAS to those HDDs. It seems like this should be a simple thing to accomplish, but I obviously am missing something very basic as I can't figure out how to proceed. Thanks for any help...Ken
MikeG.6.5

Re: Backup From NAS To Two External Hard Drives

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I think a better, and much faster way, would be to hook the drives up to the NAS and then make 2 different back up jobs in the ADM software to back up your NAS drives to these externals. Instead of relying on a network that could suffer some congestion and actually prevent a back up from completing.

Having the drives on the NAS itself means you are doing the job locally to the NAS. And it can be scheduled for lower usage times. Incremental back ups can be set up pretty easily if that's the idea, or redundant full back ups could also be done.

This could be fast, and the easiest way to do it, IMO.
orion

Post by orion »

Agree with Mike's way. If you still plan to put those 2 HDDs to your PC, you can install Backup Plan application on your PC. Launch it and setup the backup job (no matter NAS -> PC or PC -> NAS).
maineiac13

Post by maineiac13 »

Thanks for both suggestions. I agree that the simplest way is to attach a HDD to the NAS so I will go with that for the time being.
kevmeist

Post by kevmeist »

Sorry for a late reply. ASUSTOR does sell extra mounting brackets for "bare" HDs (about $30 each), so you could buy a couple of those and use an internal backup to a spare bay in the NAS (assuming that you have one).

I use 3 4TB HGST drives in the NAS and use Bay4 as a backup location for "MyArchive" HDs.

K

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”