How simple would it be to migrate to another Asustor?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
thehype
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How simple would it be to migrate to another Asustor?

Post by thehype »

I'm running out of space on my NAS, and don't have anymore drive slots, so I'm thinking of getting another Asustor with more slots. How simple would it be to migrate everything to the other server? Would it detect that the drives have already been formatted and contain data, and not format them again? What about apps?
MikeG.6.5

Re: How simple would it be to migrate to another Asustor?

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I took the drives out of the 202T I had and put them into the 7004T and it worked right away. Data there, and everything was great. EXCEPT the 202T was a 32-bit OS and the 7004T is a 64-bit. Some apps didn't work right until I removed them and then installed the correct OS version.

Asustor advertises this on their website, BTW, that upgrading to a larger NAS is as simple as remove drives and then add them to the new NAS.
thehype

Post by thehype »

That's good to know. Going to be upgradint to one with a 64-bit CPU, so I think I'll have to do that too. Hopefully, migrating the app settings is simple. I do know that if you reinstall an app, it deletes all its settings.

Thanks!
orion

Post by orion »

Fordlobus wrote: I've personalised login screen, Kodi settings and stuff, and I don't know if just pulling out the disks and putting
them into the new NAS, will keep all those settings?
Yes. Simply turn your old NAS off. Remove all of disks to the new NAS. Turn the new NAS on.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”