Forgive my ignorance, but is there any point to RAID-0 on a NAS?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
momotaro
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any point to RAID-0 on a NAS?

Post by momotaro »

Even with a gigabit connection, the performance improvements from RAID-0 are wasted, no? I can't transfer data to or from the NAS fast enough for RAID-0 to matter, so why bother using it?
orion

Re: Forgive my ignorance, but is there any point to RAID-0 on a NAS?

Post by orion »

I think there are models with multiple LAN ports. And some internal tasks on NAS can share the bandwidth of RAID-0. However I won't use RAID-0, because of no fault tolerances.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

There are even models with 10Gbit available. It might make sense for temporary data (disk-2-disk-2-tape backup) or if one would require the performance. It is VERY easy to implement so no problem to include it as an option.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
Hikari

Post by Hikari »

First of all, RAID0 allows bigger volumes. You can have a volume of 16TB out from 2 8TB HDs.

Then, our NAS is just an optimized PC with linux inside. It doesn't have the full power of a desktop and much less of a server, but we still can access it by SSH and run some apps. I in example run md5 creation and verification locally. And there are also some models with more RAM.

It also has some HTPC and server features, like playing music and video, web and DB servers, Subversion, etc.

So, other than bigger volume, we can also use the extra speed for local work.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”