(Solved)YourNas to Rsync Compatible Server with deltacopy

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
innie808
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

(Solved)YourNas to Rsync Compatible Server with deltacopy

Post by innie808 »

Hi,

I've recently invested in a Asustor 204t. I have a need to keep incremental backups of some critical folders from the NAS to a Windows 7 Drive.

I'm using http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp on the windows machine as it seems to be the easiest to configure (GUI BASED)

My Rsync backup job actually detects the remote windows folder, but when i try to run the backup i get this error.

rsync: extended attributes are not supported on this server
rsync error: requested action not supported (code 4) at /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.4-1/src/rsync-3.0.4/clientserver.c(840) [receiver=3.0.4]
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /asustor/cross/as-3xx/branches/B_2_0_2_20130728/source/rsync-3.0.9/io.c(764) [sender=3.0.9]

It looks to me like maybe a mismatched Rsync version?
Does anyone here use Deltacopy for the Windows Rsync Server?
Should i be approaching the Deltacopy developer to try and resolve this, or is it something on the NAS?

Thankyou, I am new to NAS technology, i feel like the Asustor 204t was a good purchase, i have had no issues apart from this so far.

Andrew
Last edited by innie808 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orion

Re: YourNas to Rsync Compatible Server with deltacopy

Post by orion »

I did not use DeltaCopy. However, I used Backup Plan (released by asustor) to do similar jobs. You may have a try about it.
innie808

Post by innie808 »

Backup plan is another possibilty, but i like the idea of controlling the Synchronisation on the NAS, where the Dynamic Data is stored and will change and sync automatically down to the windows machine. I figure there is an RSYNC service provided, might as well give it a go.
orion

Post by orion »

innie808 wrote:Backup plan is another possibilty, but i like the idea of controlling the Synchronisation on the NAS, where the Dynamic Data is stored and will change and sync automatically down to the windows machine. I figure there is an RSYNC service provided, might as well give it a go.
Really? DeltaCopy can do sync automatically when data in NAS being changed (NAS -> Windows)? I'm interested in this feature.

In this case (NAS -> Windows), Windows will be rsync server and nas will be rsync client.
But, after google DeltaCopy server function, I cannot find this feature. After installed it, there are no similar options. And it seems that DeltaCopy client can only do scheduling backup too (the same as rsync clinet in nas). Anything wrong with me? :?:
innie808

Post by innie808 »

Hi,

Rsync is running as a service on the NAS. I assume from this it can actively monitor backup folders/files for changes.

Deltacopy most certainly runs as a service on Windows as server or client.

I am in contact with Deltacopy Developer to see if it will work.
innie808

Post by innie808 »

HI,

After reading the asustor college articles on RSYNC and Backups, it seems RSYNC can backup the NAS files using a Schedule. It allows a few different modes of Backup, including Incremental, Full backup etc but does not monitor folder/files for changes in date/time/byte size etc.

Still, i should be able to use RSYNC to backup specific folders from the NAS to a windows machine.
innie808

Post by innie808 »

Well, I logged a ticket with Asus Technical and they fixed it straight away.

Turns out can't use "Keep Metafile Data", for some reason i had it ticked. RSYNC now working perfectly.

Thanks Asus Technical support.

Andrew

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”