Backup seems very slow

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
JonathanSwiftUK
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup seems very slow

Post by JonathanSwiftUK »

Using a 202TE with 2x 3TB 7200rpm Seagate ST3000DM001 drives in Raid 0, using the built-in backup to external device (a 5900rpm 4TB external Seagate drive using USB3). Latest firmware on NAS. I'm pretty sure I've achieved 100MB/s write speeds on that USB3 drive on my Windows server, on large files.

Now I'm backing up 3.3TB of mostly video files (.mkv files mostly), some music (about 200GB) and pictures (probably 50,000 typical photos).

It took about 26 hours :o , during which time I could see two 'rsync' processes running top, both using around 20% cpu.

I originally had just formatted, as EXT4, then stopped the backup as it was going slowly, and re-formatted NTFS. I could swear it seemed to be going a bit faster after that, but no way to quantify it, i.e. no empirical data.

Now I've set up a file copy using FreeFileSync to a Windows server, using SMB, to copy about 770GB of data from the NAS, again mostly large movie files. This is a Windows 2012 R2 server. It will complete in about 15 mins, so it will have taken about 3 hours 15 mins. The total data being transferred locally was about 3.3TB. Quick and dirty calculation puts the first transfer (local) at 3,300,000 MB / 1560mins = 2.12GB/min (35MB/sec), whilst the second transfer (across the network, gigabit, switched) at 770,000 MB / 195mins = 3.94GB/min (65MB/sec). Doesn't that mean I might have been able to transfer that 3.3TB across the network in 14 hours ? I hope my maths is correct!

My point is 26 hours for 3.3TB is incredibly slow for a local device - it should be faster than the network, shouldn't it ? :?

My backup job used incremental (archive) set. When I did the 2nd backup I had obviously formatted the drive when I swapped from EXT4 to NTFS format. I noticed a problem there two, but that's another topic ! :)
orion

Re: Backup seems very slow

Post by orion »

Sounds slow, but not very slow (35MB/s). I experienced one of my U3 devices (USB dongle) is slower. The other one is better (about 70MB/s). Both of those devices are slower than my network throughput. :shock: Did you try U3 port on the back of your nas?
JonathanSwiftUK

orion wrote:Sounds slow, but not very slow (35MB/s). I experienced one of my U3 devices (USB dongle) is slower. The other one is better (about 70MB/s). Both of those devices are slower than my network throughput. :shock: Did you try U3 port on the back of your nas?
I had it plugged in to the front, just for convenience, but I believe it was in the back previously. I forgot to mention that I originally had 2x 2TB drives (raid 0) in it, and the external drive (NTFS) was full of all my data - I'd just bought this NAS. I used File Explorer in the interface to copy the data to /public/media and it seemed to take about 15 hours to copy 3.3TB of data to those internal drives. Could it even be that the rear USB3 port is faster than the front USB3 port ! :?:
JonathanSwiftUK

Just did a new test - on the extenal 4TB USB3 drive. Connected it to one of my servers. I copied a 478GB single file to the drive. It took 1hr 3mins (63mins). 478,000 MB / 63 minutes = 7.58GB per minute, or 126MB/second (average speed). So I know the drive can handle very high speeds. Remembering that this is writing speed, I saw it go to 147MB/sec at times. The file was coming from a 6TB (3x2TB) raid 0 array, so reading would have been very fast, not a bottleneck. The server is running Windows 2012 R2 and fully patched.

I think I'll try a few tests. I can try the front and back USB3 ports to see if there is any difference in speed. I'll attach the external drive to each and copy this 478GB file to the internal drives (6TB, 2x3TB, 7200rpm, raid 0) array, and see if there is any difference in read speed.

There I can try copying it back to the external drive, in both ports. In these cases I'll use File Explorer from the web interface. Then I'll consider trying a backup job, using both ports. And finally I'll think about using the "cp" command from ssh, just for a comparison. This will take some hours, and I need to go do some Christmas shopping first, otherwise I'll have more to worry about than slow throughput ! ;)
soilderco

Post by soilderco »

Dear JonathanSwiftUK,

Thank you for such a clear explanation!!! :D
Storage: AS-302T

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”