How to upgrade a single drive

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
jumpjet
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to upgrade a single drive

Post by jumpjet »

Hi

Does anyone have a solution for upgrading a single drive on the AS-302T, on a Windows 8 Pro x64 system?

I bought the AS-302T yesterday, and as I didn't originally intend to spend so much on a NAS system originally, it left me with a short term struggle to populate the drives.

I have single 3 TB drive arriving tomorrow, and envisage adding the second 3 TB drive within a couple of weeks. All my data will stay on the current multiple internal drives I have in my PC, as well as being copied to the NAS drive. Once I have the second NAS drive, I will then RAID mirror them. The NAS can handle this procedure just fine. One drive to two drive RAID migration/conversion

However since buying the NAS yesterday, to get to know my way around it, I fitted a small temporary spare drive (320GB). Being pretty keen, I've installed and setup quite a few things, which it looks like I am going to lose once the new main drive arrives. I don't see a method of swapping in the single 3 TB drive to replace the 320 GB drive, without losing it all.

Does anyone have any idea of a method to keep what I have?

For instance it there a way of inserting the new 3 TB in drive bay 2, and imaging the data over from drive bay 1. Then of course I would remove the small drive from bay 1, and swap the large drive over from bay 2.

Perhaps the new 3tb drive goes into bay 2, then enable raid mirroring, effectively getting 2 x 320 GB drives mirrored. Then removing the 320 GB drive, swapping the new one over into bay 1, and somehow expanding it to 3 TB

It all may sound a bit silly, but at the moment I am guessing the answer is NO ..... start afresh will be the only option.

Cheers :)
garym

Re: How to upgrade a single drive

Post by garym »

Take a look here http://download.asustor.com/college/en/ ... ansion.pdf

It tells you how to replace one of the raid drives with a larger one and expand the volume accordingly.

So add the first drive and create a small raid 1 volume.
Later on go through the 'replace drive' process and expand the raid volume to the full 3 TB.
jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

I did go though many different attempts but failed. Once a the RAID is created you could not go back to a single larger disk.

I was trying - Single 320 GB Drive > RAID 1 320 GB with 3 TB drive (essentially 2x 320 GB) > Remove the 320 GB drive > Revert to Single 3 TB drive

As it was early days, and because I was now more familiar with the system, I just started again.

Now nearly a week later, I have expanded the 3 TB single to 2x3 TB RAID 1.

I will say that it's filling up so fast, I wish I had the money at the time to get a 304T rather than the 302T. However I now have tons of space on my other internal & external USB drives

garym

Post by garym »

jumpjet wrote:Thanks :)
Remove the 320 GB drive > Revert to Single 3 TB drive
Ah. OK. I think at this point you could have chosen to replace, rather than remove, the smaller drive with a larger one and then expand the volume.

Yep. You can never have too much storage :)
jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

I did at one stage get it down to 1 single 3TB drive, restricted to 320 GB (because it had been a RAID 1 drive), but I couldn't expand it up to take all available space, to 3 TB.

Never mind ...... it's done now. I whistled though the fresh set up, and some settings were retained by the operating system anyway, my VPN settings for example. :)

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”