Migrate with bigger 4 disks RAID5

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
calambur
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Migrate with bigger 4 disks RAID5

Post by calambur »

In AS5304T I have 4 disks of 4TB in RAID5. I want to replace with 4 disks 18TB . I follow the instructions, but for some reason the first drive is detected as 4TB after synchronisation. And after replacing all the disks it asks me to change it to a bigger one. So physically there are 4 disks of 18TB in the server but the first one is detected as the old one of 4TB. What am I doing wrong?
Nazar78

Re: Migrate with bigger 4 disks RAID5

Post by Nazar78 »

So that means your array with 4x18TB disks now reads 12TB RAID 5 (4TBx3)? Because RAID 5 constitute the capacity of the smallest disk in the array.

Need more details, screenshots would be great. Usually after changing all the disks to the bigger ones, you would do a capacity expansion. Refer to point 3.2 https://www.asustor.com/online/College_topic?topic=352.

I think the solution is to repeat again the procedure for disk #1, then followed by the capacity expansion but again it's not fully clear from your description.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
calambur

Post by calambur »

Found a solution. After adding the last disk and synchronising it, the server had to be rebooted. This was not in the instructions. After rebooting the first drive was detected as Seagate 18TB and the Expand Space button appeare
Last edited by calambur on Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Ok I see the issue now. Is your firmware updated? There's also a BIOS v1.25 update, search for bios in the App Central.

Wait for the process to complete before doing anything. As soon as it completes, shutdown your NAS then reinsert the problematic disk again, then boot up. See if it helps.

If you have a HDMI and keyboard attached, you can hit DEL several times while booting up to go into the BIOS to inspect the disks. Don't change anything unless you're sure because you'll need to flash the BIOS again without the NAS booting up if anything goes wrong.

The last resort is to contact Asustor Support, I have your same NAS model but not the disks so I can't check.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
calambur

Post by calambur »

:D Thank you. It worked. :D
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

NP glad it helps, so re-inserting the disk worked? Then probably a glitch in the ADM which I would encourage you to report to Asustor Support as well. If it's the BIOS upgrade, then I was also not notified of this, just happened to spot it in the App Central, then figure it out how to flash reset the mess I made in the BIOS that it loses its DOM so the NAS can't boot.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”