Mobile Backup App with Custom NAS Folder Paths

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
PoorInRichfield
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Mobile Backup App with Custom NAS Folder Paths

Post by PoorInRichfield »

Goal: Backup primarily photos and videos to Asustor NAS to folders of my choice on the NAS.

I have AiFoto 3 and AiData installed on my Android phone and Photo Gallery 3 on my Asustor NAS, but neither allows for specifying the destination folder for where to store backed-up files on the NAS. AiFoto seems to work in conjunction with Photo Gallery 3 which stores user photos and videos in a mysterious HOME/MyPhoto folder. I'd rather have photos and videos copied to "{username}/photos" and "{username}/videos" folder of my choosing. It'd also be nice to backup files of any type to any NAS folder location, not just photos and videos.

Is there an Android app that will back-up files to an Asustor NAS that isn't so restrictive in regard to the destination folders?
Nazar78

Re: Mobile Backup App with Custom NAS Folder Paths

Post by Nazar78 »

in a mysterious HOME/MyPhoto folder
"HOME" is the root shared path of the current logged in user. It's also the same as "User Homes/<current-user>/MyPhoto" ("User Homes" is only available if you enable its access in the Access Control).

I don't use any of those Asustor's apps. For me and my wife's phones, Note 20 Ultra, we're using Folder-Sync for Android (sorry not sure about iPhones, there should be similar apps) and sync both the entire 512GB internal and SD Card storage via WebDAV over reverse proxy HTTPS domain setup on the NAS opened to a 1Gbps up/down symmetrical internet. I set to them to sync only on Wi-Fi so for example if we're traveling and back connected at the hotel, it will sync at the specified off peak period, usually when we're off to bed. At home, the sync is much faster over Wi-Fi 6 1.2Gbps support by the phones to LAN 2.5Gbps depending on the location of the phones.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

hi

+1 with foldersync .
you can try 'synchronize ultimate'
almost same functions .

ps : both are paid solutions to get rid with limitations
PoorInRichfield

Post by PoorInRichfield »

Nazar78 wrote:we're using Folder-Sync for Android... I set to them to sync only on Wi-Fi so for example if we're traveling and back connected at the hotel, it will sync at the specified off peak period, usually when we're off to bed.
Thank you, Folder-Sync is exactly what I was looking for and it works great. Not only that, it has extensive documentation.

My "I Can't Stand Google Photos" Back-Up System:
I originally wanted to just sync straight from my phone to the NAS, but you reminded me that syncing away from home would require exposing the NAS to the Interwebs which I don't want to do. Thus, putting my OneDrive account into the middle works well as my phone will still sync when there is WiFi and I can manage files in OneDrive via my PC, Phone, or Internet... unlike Google Photos that makes it a total pain to get your own photos back!

Side note: The file extension filter on Asustor DataSync Center tasks works "backwards"... I.e., if you only want to sync files with image file extensions, you have to check all of the file fliters except "images". Weird.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Just sharing, I don't backup to any of the big tech, the reason why I got a NAS as a personal cloud. This is personal preference but I believe if something is public, they are prone to CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures) and attacks. I also believe if something is secretly tossed elsewhere, it's harder to guess of where to access it to begin with e.g. on the NAS I have many sites opened to the net but nobody would knew my private subdomain running behind my reverse proxy where I upload all my backups to the NAS, not only password protected but some hidden tricks I implement to restrict its access. One would have a great vendetta to trouble themselves trying to break into such systems. I also use DoH (DNS over HTTPS) so my subdomain presences will not be compromised when I'm connected to public hotspots. On the other hand, I also have a personal site running on the NAS which is being attacked by bots every other day as expected but again secrecy is the key including how to mitigate the attacks like slowing down and temporarily block its attempt.

Another reason I don't trust any of the big tech is that, no long ago my AWS account was hacked due to a secret key hash I generated and used for testing APIs of which have never been shared to the public. But since this is public API, it's prone to brute force attacks. The key was used for a few times during my testings and I forgot about it until I received the bill few years later. However I got it waived off the bills. This was my only time I got hacked due to letting off my guards thinking AWS is somewhat secured :(
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”