Backup advice

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dizzyfish
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup advice

Post by dizzyfish »

I have just purchased an Asustor AS5304T and a couple of Seagate 12TB Ironwolf drives (Some good advice from @Nazar78). I already own an Asustor AS202TE with a couple of 4TB drives (RAID 1). I plan to migrate the data from my old AS202TE to the new AS5304T. I used to used an external USB3 disk to backup the data on my old AS202TE.

Looking for advice on the best options for backing up the data on the new AS5304T.... maybe purchase a newer bigger external USB disk, or possibly backup to the old AS202TE over my network (my router is a bit rubbish - Virgin Hub 3.0 with 1Gb/s interfaces)

Many thanks - Ian
Nazar78

Re: Backup advice

Post by Nazar78 »

You can transfer your old disks to the new NAS, update its firmware and apps.

Backup strategy is up to you, both external (faster USB3) or LAN based would work.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dizzyfish

Post by dizzyfish »

Thanks - I think I have discounted LAN based backup due to the amount of time it would take due to my router etc.

I could really do with some recommendations for USB3 external disks preferably 10+Tb - anyone got any suggestions for a fast reliable model? (I looked at Seagate firecuda external 16Tb hub and Seagate Expansion 12TB, but wasn't wholy convinced in terms of performance with either of them)
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Just get the best size you can get, USB3 5Gbps with UASP support. Remember get the USB A type as the 5304T doesn't support USB C. They'll all perform similarly.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”