HDD Errors Reported

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
dcanham001
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

HDD Errors Reported

Post by dcanham001 »

Was watching a film streamed from my AS5304T this morning when it started beeping at me to report an issue. Dr Asustor is telling me the following:

HDD SMART Information: At least one hard drive is determined to be failing. Immediate attention needed.
Bad Sector Count: Bad Blocks found

Both issues are with Drive 1. When I go to the drive and click on SMART Info the following are listed as Bad:

Reallocated_Sector_Ct
Reported Uncorrect
Current_Pending_Sector
Offline Uncorrectable

I have all my data backed up.

Are there any steps I should take or is it simply a matter of returning the HDD for a new one? Could these errors be something other than the HDD such as user error somewhere? It's been working fine since around the new year until now. It's still under warranty (Ironwolf 16tb HDD).

Thanks for any comments.
Nazar78

Re: HDD Errors Reported

Post by Nazar78 »

Definitely the HDD going bad. Recommended to hotswap immediately but if you have to go through long days/weeks RMA process, best to shutdown the system temporarily because if another disk fail during this time, depending on your RAID config, your data will be affected. If you already have backup then it's quite safe to remove the affected HDD to be sent for replacement.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dcanham001

Post by dcanham001 »

Thanks Nazar. I only bought the HDD in March so shouldn't this go back to the retailer (I'm in the UK)
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I'm not sure about the warranty procedure in the UK but most retailer have a specific short period of return/exchange i.e. 7 days or 1 month. You might want to check with the retailer. Most probably you'll need to raise RMA with the distributor or direct manufacturer.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”