Hard drive with RAID1 is not recognized by the new NAS

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
huste511
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Hard drive with RAID1 is not recognized by the new NAS

Post by huste511 »

Hi!

I had a RAID1 array in an Asustor AS4004T.

I took one of these hard drives into new AS4004T.

Unfortunately, only the hard drive is recognized but not the RAID1 partition or the data.

Asus will say that you can simply transfer all hard drives to a new NAS, but this probably only applies if you do it completely and not just with one.

How can I mount this hard drive again?
How do I regain access to my data on the NAS?

Unfortunately, Asustor does not offer direct phone support in Europe. I have already registered via the ticket system and submitted a cloud ID and admin password. Unfortunately I still have no answer 8 days later.
Nazar78

Re: Hard drive with RAID1 is not recognized by the new NAS

Post by Nazar78 »

Not sure if you have already resolved your issue.

Copying the data over is an option provided you have enough disks to begin with.

There's an unofficial way but you'll need to be comfortable with command lines and understand the basics. Refer to my recovery tips in the link below on how to regain your data mount on the new NAS. It involves modifying the volume.conf on both the OS and data mount. https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=12860

Edited: Since it's the same model you should be able to move over the disks as they already have the correct volume.conf. So ensure the firmware is updated on both NAS. Use a spare any size disks initialize it in the new NAS then update its firmware.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
huste511

Re: Hard drive with RAID1 is not recognized by the new NAS

Post by huste511 »

Hi!

Thanks for the answer and the hint.

I haven't completely solved my problem.

I wrote to Asustor support. After 1 day the answer, I should give them the admin access data to the NAS.

They received this information within an hour and I then waited over 2 weeks for an answer. ;-(

After 15 days there was only one line as an answer that the old disk had to be put in slot 1. They haven't even logged into the NAS yet.

This information is even wrong.

After a bit of testing, I found out that if only one old hard drive is in slot 4, it will be recognized immediately with data.

If the Raid 5 is present in slots 1-3, the hard disk in slot 4 is no longer recognized as a data disk.

So I had to go the very cumbersome way of copying the data externally and then playing back the data.

I am quite disappointed by the support and this inflexibility.

btw: Very great caution to anyone who makes such attempts. The NAS immediately tries to restore a raid without any notice or message, no matter what hard drive is in it.

Not only empty disks are used. Even those with data from other file systems are simply overwritten!!!

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”