Best backup program to use in Linux to NAS

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dmtparker
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Best backup program to use in Linux to NAS

Post by dmtparker »

I am having trouble finding a Linux backup program that will back up my Linux box to my Asustor NAS. It seems many of them do not work with NAS. I tried Duplicati and it seemed to work just fine, but when I tried doing a restore, it was a nightmare. Can anyone recommend a Linux program that can schedule automatic backups to my NAS?
Thanks
sksbir

Re: Best backup program to use in Linux to NAS

Post by sksbir »

hello
if you means 'gui and click only programs', I have no idea.
If your are not against using editor and writing some light batch file in shell, and using crontab, you can use rsync, where server side is on the nas.
marp

Post by marp »

rsync
d.archibald

Post by d.archibald »

The best safety net is Macrium Reflect which unfortunately runs under Windows. It does image backups of Linux Partitions as well as complete disks and can restore them relatively easily. It can run script files with a schedule and e-mail results. It can use a USB recovery key or can run a recovery environment stored on a hard drive or it can run the full program for recovery under Windows. It will not allow file recovery for Linux only for Windows. Its the best "Get Out of Jail Card". Latest version is v8.0. There is a free trial version which will back up only a full Drive. If you go dual boot it works well. Make sure to create the recovery environment on a USB drive and test it to see if it works - Bios has to be set to boot from USB first. Use this method as your weekly or Monthly fail safe and LM Backup Tool to create day to day backups of Data files on a USB connected Hard Drive. Paid version of Reflect can put your Macrium backup onto bare metal drives it also has an Image Guardian which should protect your images against ransomware (may not work with Linux - check).
Create multiple dated backups for safety on the NAS. Macrium can do incremental and differential backups if space, speed or frequency is an issue. With the WIN PE recovery environment the NAS may have to be set to Samba level 1 for restoring, but this is not required when running the full Windows application for backup or restore. Make "cold" backups for long term insurance i.e. NOT on line and stored somewhere offsite. Hope for the best and plan for the Worst.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”