Automatic backup to external drive

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
m.uher.cz@gmail.com
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Automatic backup to external drive

Post by m.uher.cz@gmail.com »

Hi,

I hope I have selected proper section for my question. I was trying to find a section for Backup & Restore app but failed.

Anyhow, I have AS5304T with 3 internal IronWolfs drives in Riad 5 and I have set up automatic backup to external USB drive. Drive is formatted in ExFAT. The backup job seems to work correctly according to schedule. Data are transfered however I receive following waring message:
Asustor could not set file attributes [Warning]
Can't chown [Operation not permitted(-1)]

I belive it is linked to ExFAT formatting of external drive and it informs me that file permissions cannot be transfered. ExFAT is required in my use-case, so is there a way to adjust settings to avoid those messages?
Nazar78

Re: Automatic backup to external drive

Post by Nazar78 »

Not sure about how ADM handles different file systems as I'm using another method to transfer to external Exfat, kinda long winded using scripts/tar/gzip etc. but I had to do it for certain circumstances (mostly lack of filters). However if your backups completed it shouldn't be an issue, of course the ownership and permissions can't be transferred between two different file systems, just ignore the warnings.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
m.uher.cz@gmail.com

Re: Automatic backup to external drive

Post by m.uher.cz@gmail.com »

Hi,

thanks for reply. It makes sense. I was hoping that there might be some option to skip transfer of permissions during the backup job. To avoid the overload of warning messages in logs.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”