SNAPSHOT BTRFS

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

NAPLES1
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

SNAPSHOT BTRFS

Post by NAPLES1 »

good evening, I configured the nas with two hard drives in raid 1 (volume 1) and a third hard drive with btrfs partition (volume 2). Inside the admin I configured snapshots every 30 minutes. Now if I go inside the snapshots and select preview, the snapshot is empty. actually even the space used in volume 2 where it should save the snapshots seems to me little. where do i make a mistake?
Zaragosa

Re: SNAPSHOT BTRFS

Post by Zaragosa »

I maybe wrong on this reply. I beleave snapshots are for the drive you set them to. That is snapshots would be for Vol2, if that volume is empty, there would be no snapshots.
Lexx

Re: SNAPSHOT BTRFS

Post by Lexx »

NAPLES1 wrote:good evening, I configured the nas with two hard drives in raid 1 (volume 1) and a third hard drive with btrfs partition (volume 2). Inside the admin I configured snapshots every 30 minutes. Now if I go inside the snapshots and select preview, the snapshot is empty. actually even the space used in volume 2 where it should save the snapshots seems to me little. where do i make a mistake?
Unless you have a good reason for 30 min snapshots you should limit snapshots to lower then 100 maximum as lots of snapshots can cause filesystem slow downs

recommend 1 snapshot at midnight/1am, 30 max for 30days of undo (or 90 maximum if you need more undo time or the nas is unattended for long periods of time)

Don't lock any snapshots as it will cause snapshots to stop working when it hits your set limit (defualt is 256 max but recommend is lower then 100)

Snapshots are readonly points in time they only will Show data in a snapshot if that snapshot was ran when folders and files existed, and snapshots don't use any space they just keep readonly snapshots in time if the data is changed then space use will increase until the last snapshot is purged

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”