Copying computer backup on SSD to NAS

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
Dfp771
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Copying computer backup on SSD to NAS

Post by Dfp771 »

I Found an issue that's in common with both Asustor and Qnap. If you have your computer backed up to a USB SSD drive such as a Samsung T1,T5, or T7 and you try to copy or backup/sync the contents of the drive to the NAS using a direct USB connection the NAS memory utilization quickly goes to 85-93%. Then the connection goes down and the only thing you can do is power down the NAS. On Qnap you get Out of memory messages and kill process messages. On Asustor you just loose your connection.
My theory is that the NAS cpu/memory does NOT have a speed limiter when copying/transferring files from a fast USB device to the NAS or to another external USB drive. The CPU falls behind and starts to fill system memory with this file copy process. The memory fills up and the system crashes.

Anybody else seen this? Has anybody developed a work around in terms of copying your computer backup to the NAS? The Samsung T5 can transfer data at about 540 MB/s. The T7 can transfer data at 1040 MB/s. The USB 3.2 GEN 1 ports are rated at 5 Gb/s or about 500 MB/s on the Asustor AS6604t. The QNAP TS-364 has 2 USB 3.2 GEN 2 ports rated at 10Gb/s (1000 MB/s).

My goal here is to quickly get a full computer backup onto the NAS without going through a network connection.
chris.e

Re: Copying computer backup on SSD to NAS

Post by chris.e »

What RAID config are you using and what file system?
I can't offer a solution but I'm using RAID 10, HDDs, and 2.5Gb ethernet. Source = SSD, i too see the memory usage spike and then the speed slow down.

I suspect if I was using USB I might have the same problem.

You should raise a support ticket, as that's the only way it's going to get fixed.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”