Volume help - reinstall ADM but keep volumes 2 and 3?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
JohnAsustor
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Volume help - reinstall ADM but keep volumes 2 and 3?

Post by JohnAsustor »

Hi all,

wondering if anyone can help on the below

I have an AS6404T with 3 current volumes installed:

1. 1 TB Main drive
2. 2 TB Media Drive
3. 10TB backup Drive (internal backups)
4. Empty

I, like many others, was hit by deadbolt. Luckily I managed to get back into my NAS, and seems only volume 1 has been effected. I think this is pure luck of the attack can only target 1 volume or RAID setups to access ALL shares.

As my shares were set "per volume" it seems I got away very luckily.

However this brings me onto my question.

can i pull Volume's 2 and 3 (Ext4 - single volumes) Reinstall the NAS with Volume 1 only (to scrub it clean of the deadbolt traces) and put volume 2 and 3 back in to be recognised by the ADM?

Any guidance on how best to proceed here would be great. I could buy another large drive, transfer all the data from 1 2 and 3 to the new drive in bay 4, but id rather avoid the expense of another large drive if i can get away with it!
orion

Re: Volume help - reinstall ADM but keep volumes 2 and 3?

Post by orion »

You should follow Asustor's official guide: https://www.asustor.com/knowledge/detail/?group_id=630. That should be able to remove / disable deadbolt and recover ADM. And you should change the default ports (I think it's critical point) as the messages showed in ADM. So you can access your volume 2 and 3.
JohnAsustor

Post by JohnAsustor »

orion wrote:You should follow Asustor's official guide: https://www.asustor.com/knowledge/detail/?group_id=630. That should be able to remove / disable deadbolt and recover ADM. And you should change the default ports (I think it's critical point) as the messages showed in ADM. So you can access your volume 2 and 3.
Hi, apologies I thought it was clear from my explanation that u had already recovered ADM with the tips in the link.

More interested to know if it's possible to keep volumes 2 and 3 out of the NAS reinstall on a single volume (just to be sure all traces of deadbolt are gone) and plug back in volumes 2 and 3, will they be picked up without wiping or initialising the disks?
orion

Post by orion »

JohnAsustor wrote: More interested to know if it's possible to keep volumes 2 and 3 out of the NAS reinstall on a single volume (just to be sure all traces of deadbolt are gone) and plug back in volumes 2 and 3, will they be picked up without wiping or initialising the disks?
No, ADM won't understand those old volume 2 and 3. However if you are familiar with Linux, say mdadm command, you can mount volume 2 and 3 to a certain position. So you can copy files to / from those volumes.
JohnAsustor

Post by JohnAsustor »

orion wrote:
JohnAsustor wrote: More interested to know if it's possible to keep volumes 2 and 3 out of the NAS reinstall on a single volume (just to be sure all traces of deadbolt are gone) and plug back in volumes 2 and 3, will they be picked up without wiping or initialising the disks?
No, ADM won't understand those old volume 2 and 3. However if you are familiar with Linux, say mdadm command, you can mount volume 2 and 3 to a certain position. So you can copy files to / from those volumes.

Familiar is a stretch! ive used linux many years back for a similar purpose, but I'm talking around 10 years ago!

I'm guessing my best bet is to look to get another drive to connect via external caddy, backup the files to that using the backup and restore USB feature, then start from scratch and put the data back?

not even sure its worth the effort really or if there is a better way
greig2000uk

Post by greig2000uk »

orion wrote:You should follow Asustor's official guide: https://www.asustor.com/knowledge/detail/?group_id=630. That should be able to remove / disable deadbolt and recover ADM. And you should change the default ports (I think it's critical point) as the messages showed in ADM. So you can access your volume 2 and 3.
Hi, I don't think this removes or disables deadbolt - please correct me if I am wrong - my understanding was the link lets you know how to get back to ADM through your browser (from there you can disable ez connect and change ports etc). "After the update has completed, you’ll be able to return to ADM"
I carried out the instructions in the link and it does indeed let you back into the NAS after you update ADM but the drives are still chattering away like crazy and when I looked for recent changes (through windows to NAS) it seems that Deadbolt was busy working on encrypting my Plex library.

I,m in a better position as I have most of my data backed up, I will only lose recent changes to 2 large Media folders and Plex info but I can live with a factory reset if need be.
orion

Post by orion »

JohnAsustor wrote: Familiar is a stretch! ive used linux many years back for a similar purpose, but I'm talking around 10 years ago!

I'm guessing my best bet is to look to get another drive to connect via external caddy, backup the files to that using the backup and restore USB feature, then start from scratch and put the data back?

not even sure its worth the effort really or if there is a better way
Then, I'm not sure if you can do the way you mentioned (volume 2 and 3 should be ext4 or btrfs).
The other way is to use the recovered ADM (volume-1 encrypted), then replace volume 1 with new drive(s): https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/ ... ts-damaged. In this way, volume 2 and volume 3 should be fine. (You'll need to setup applications and access rights again.)
orion

Post by orion »

greig2000uk wrote: Hi, I don't think this removes or disables deadbolt - please correct me if I am wrong - my understanding was the link lets you know how to get back to ADM through your browser (from there you can disable ez connect and change ports etc). "After the update has completed, you’ll be able to return to ADM"
I carried out the instructions in the link and it does indeed let you back into the NAS after you update ADM but the drives are still chattering away like crazy and when I looked for recent changes (through windows to NAS) it seems that Deadbolt was busy working on encrypting my Plex library.

I,m in a better position as I have most of my data backed up, I will only lose recent changes to 2 large Media folders and Plex info but I can live with a factory reset if need be.
I cannot make sure of that as my NAS is just fine. I got the information from support by oral. They said that those deadbolt execution files in NAS should be move to the other place (no more active) after upgrade to the latest version. They said they recovered some units already (files are still encrypted). I think you should report your case to support again.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”