Switch Needed?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

AndyM
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Switch Needed?

Post by AndyM »

I am looking to set up a back up routine from my 6604 to an 1104. Read the Resync Collage Topic NAS 259 and watched a Asustor Collage video on the topic. The video showed connecting the two NAS's via a switch (as opposed to running the data through the network connection). Is that just because the switch approach is quicker and or safer?

The switch the video shows is a EDIMAX Pro XGS-5008 - no doubt a good unit but it's also $617 USD - lots of money to me. Suggestions on something a little more down to earth?
orion

Re: Switch Needed?

Post by orion »

I don't see the video about EDIMAX... Anyway it's network switch and, of course, it's network connection. I don't know what you mean...
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Hi Orion,

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXOKb-mcfWQ

Appears to show two NAS's to the switch - no router (in my world "the network") involved.
orion

Post by orion »

That's network. Can you describe / define "your world - the network"? I cannot catch your point.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I suspect I am about to learn something....

I have viewed (My World) a "network" as when I attached my PC and NAS to a router and move files between them. Printers, Game consoles, Streaming devices (ie Roku) are also all connected to the "network", usually wirelessly (NAS's are wired).

I have not to this point used a "switch". The Collage Video appears to show 2 NAS's connected to a switch with no router involved - a very different scenario than I am used to.

But, I am learning new stuff all the time...
orion

Post by orion »

It sounds that you know the differences between router and switch well. But I have no ideas why you define network as this "special" way. How about you treat router and switch as the same in your proprietary network? (Router should deal with up-to layer 3 protocols, switch should deal with up-to layer 2 protocols. Network can includes those devices.)
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

When you start talking protocol levels you are over my head. I guess I am just looking for the most efficient and safe way to backup the data on the 6604 to the 1104. The video showed an option I did not and still do not understand - and I wouldn't want to lose my videos doing something I don't understand.

Guess I will need to read up some more.
orion

Post by orion »

AndyM wrote:The video showed an option I did not and still do not understand.
I don't know if there is anyone understand what you mean. At least I don't know what "option" you mean.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

In the video the switch has three Lan cables connected. Presumably one goes to each of the two NAS's. The third would be connected where - to a PC or to a Router?
orion

Post by orion »

I'm not sure. Most-likely, yes.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”