5304t disk configuration options

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

edwardb
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

5304t disk configuration options

Post by edwardb »

Just setting up my 5304 (4 bay) and have 3 *2tb disk in raid 5 as volume 2 - all good
I am using an older 2tb disk for vol 1 that is starting to show errors
so i need to replace it

As this is effectively a system volume in my case which will not be used for data just ADM apps etc
when replacing what is the capacity i need ie could i go for say a 500gb ssd (to benefit from speed and can this be a cache at the same time or is that ssd another disk which i do not have room for), or do i need greater capacity in which case i would use another 2tb disk

i will be using an external USB to backup for the raid array but will not bother backing up volume 1
i understand if volume 1 fails i will loose all my apps but if this does happen i can quickly rebuild it so this is not an issue, i have already had to do this once, it did not affect volume 2 integrity so is low risk IMO.
orion

Re: 5304t disk configuration options

Post by orion »

It's a good idea to use SSD as volume 1. Don't worry about the size. I believe 128GB should be all right in case that you don't install all apps. Cache and Storage are exclusive. You cannot merge those features into a disk under ADM. And be aware that you'll need to follow a special guide (https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/ ... ts-damaged) to replace volume 1.
edwardb

Re: 5304t disk configuration options

Post by edwardb »

Thanks Orion
I already had to replace volume 1 and its more of an inconvenience than anything
Ill order an ssd for vol 1

regards
Ed

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”