Help using Backup & Restore Utility with Linux

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dmtparker
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Help using Backup & Restore Utility with Linux

Post by dmtparker »

So what to try now?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

dmtparker wrote:I thought I posted a reply last night, but I don't see it, so here it is again.
The different user makes sense and I tried it, but got the same results, program hangs while trying to connect.
Not sure what to try next.
I'm also not sure what is special about your linux box. I can do remote rsync protocol on the backup & restore utility with most OS I have even with windows.

Perhaps lastly you would want to try connecting from the NAS ssh terminal see if it connects: rsync -rtn rsync://mark@192.168.1.3/mark
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dmtparker

Post by dmtparker »

I wasn't sure how to get to ssh in NAS, but I used Shell in a Box and it connected, no problem, and listed connects of mark.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

dmtparker wrote:I wasn't sure how to get to ssh in NAS, but I used Shell in a Box and it connected, no problem, and listed connects of mark.
Enable Terminal->SSH from the Services in Asustor Portal.

Could you try purposely use a wrong password? Does it still hang when you do this? I can only simulate your hanging experience till timeout when I use a dummy IP that's out of my subnet i.e. 192.168.2.1.

I suspect it might be trying to recursively list your linux box /home/mark path, took too long then timeout? You can try test on the linux box create a new single path /home/mark/asustor-post-backup then modify the module to "path = /home/mark/asustor-post-backup". Put some dummy files in it if you like. Remember to restart your rsyncd after editing the /etc/rsyncd.conf.

If you still have issues, I suggest you contact Asustor Support directly. Point them to this thread so you don't have to explain again your frustration.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dmtparker

Post by dmtparker »

I'm not sure how setting up the new path will help (it didn't) because I never get to the point of choosing a module or path. I also tried eliminating the 'real' modules and only including the 'test' module, same result - it hangs.
I guess I'll need to contact Asustor support.
Thanks so much for all your time and effort!!
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

dmtparker wrote:I'm not sure how setting up the new path will help (it didn't) because I never get to the point of choosing a module or path.
I'm assuming it could probably try to build a list of all your available modules recursively at start with authentication because if you notice, you can list the modules without even authenticating :D Did you tried giving a fake password like I mentioned see if it hangs?

Nevertheless good luck, hopefully you'll post the end results for others here to learn.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

dmtparker

Post by dmtparker »

Yes, I did and it does still hang. I also tried editing .conf to only contain 1 module with about 4 files and it still hung.
We'll see what tech support says and I'll (hopefully) be able to post 'Solved!" with how here.
dmtparker

Post by dmtparker »

Nazar78, you have been great! Thanks for all your attempts to help.
I have to say Tech Support SUCKS!!! They have been terrible! No response for days. Idiopathic responses. Clear that English is not his first language. (Not a problem if he can help, but really, he has no clue!) Obviously did not review this thread, although I linked it. I am fed up!
I am about ready to return the unit for a refund and buy a different NAS.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Need to be patient with the support, sometimes they're overwhelmed. There are few knowledgeable guys there. For the time being you could try the FTP backup instead. Complete your vsftpd config on the linux box, start it up then test. This should be much simpler than rsyncd.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

dmtparker

Post by dmtparker »

Well, I'm still waiting for support, so I went ahead and tried ftp. I have vsftpd running. I edited the .conf file following guidelines in the file itself and a tutorial I found on the web.
Screenshot-14.png
Screenshot-14.png (160.18 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
I tried ftp explorer with the IP of my Linux box, my Linux user name and password.
Screenshot-13.png
Screenshot-13.png (71.2 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
But when I try to connect, I get:
Screenshot-12.png
Screenshot-12.png (91.77 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
I gave up on that and tried Duplicati. The first try was encouraging:
Screenshot-11.png
Screenshot-11.png (47.95 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
But it seems like destination and server are reversed. For "Backup Destination" either my Linux box or the NAS result in the "Connection worked" message, but when I go to "Source", the only options are on the NAS. If I attempt to enter the IP address of my Linux box (with or without ftp://) I get the message:
Screenshot-16.png
Screenshot-16.png (10.13 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
If I just type "/home/mark" it, of course, says the path doesn't exist because it is only looking at the NAS filesystem.
Soooo, I'm not doing any better.
If you still feel like trying to help me, I'll try whatever you might suggest.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”