rsync fails with "ACLs are not supported on this server"

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

k1s
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

rsync fails with "ACLs are not supported on this server"

Post by k1s »

I created a backup tasks to rsync compatible server, without encryption. The test connection works, I'm able to select files and folder on the destination server but when the backup runs it fails:

The log says:
"Log file is generate.
Task_UpDate -> 0 : Success
c error: requested action not supported (code 4) at clientserver.c(1556) [Receiver=3.0.9]
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /asustor/branch3_5_2021_07_09/x64_g3/source/rsync-3.0.9/io.c(764) [sender=3.0.9]"

The system log says:
[Rsync] job error. ACLs are not supported on this server.

I have no idea what any of that means - could somebody explain how to get the backup working?
Nazar78

Re: rsync fails with "ACLs are not supported on this server"

Post by Nazar78 »

As I'm now on the ADM 4 beta, I can't remember the ADM 3.5 but I recalled I have no issues with rsync in ADM 3.5.7. Go to your terminal and check if rsync has ACL support. If no you'll see "no ACLs" then that's probably the reason. Try installing rsync off entware repository from the App Central. "opkg install rysnc" and use that instead or you can try ADM 4 beta.

Code: Select all

root@Nimbustor4:~ # rsync --version
rsync  version 3.1.3  protocol version 31
Copyright (C) 1996-2018 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    no socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes, prealloc

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
k1s

Post by k1s »

Thanks for your reply,

(When you say "Go to your terminal", I can't find a terminal app built in to ADM - am I missing something, or do I need to use putty or similar?)

Using putty I get:

rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.9  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2011 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    no socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.
So it looks like it says "ACLs", not "no ACLs"
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Yes when I said terminal it's ssh so you can use any terminal app like putty.

Are you able to test rsync from the terminal to your backup server? E.g. Sample below is mine initiated from the Asustor NAS to my Asus router. JFYI this also works from the backup & restore manager only that I'm using below as one of my backup script because I need filters that the backup & restore manager doesn't provide. You can change to your target IP at the rsync://. If that doesn't work I suggest you contact Asustor support for help.

root@Nimbustor4:~ # rsync -ahrtv \
			--sockopts=IPTOS_THROUGHPUT,IPTOS_LOWDELAY,TCP_NODELAY,SO_KEEPALIVE,SO_SNDBUF=16777216,SO_RCVBUF=16777216 \
			--stats --progress --del --one-file-system --whole-file --update --partial --size-only \
			--exclude 'Misc/DJI/' \
			"/share/Backup" \
			"/share/Photo" \
			"/share/TeaNazaR" \
			"/share/Video/Misc" \
			"rsync://[$(ip -o -6 addr|awk '/global/{print $4}'|sed -r 's/^(.*:).*:.*:.*:.*/\1:1/')]/WDMyPassport-Backup" 2>&1
sending incremental file list
deleting Backup/Nimbustor4/System_Setting_202107080059.bak
deleting Backup/Nimbustor4/20210709-teanazar.com.tgz
deleting Backup/Nimbustor4/20210709-chroot.tgz
deleting Backup/Nimbustor4/20210708-070001-mysql5.sql.gz
deleting Backup/Nimbustor4/20210708-040001-mysql5.sql.gz
deleting Backup/Nimbustor4/20210708-020001-mysql5.sql.gz
deleting Backup/Nimbustor4/20210708-010101-mysql5.sql.gz
Backup/Nimbustor4/
Backup/Nimbustor4/System_Setting_202107160059.bak
         14.34K 100%    0.00kB/s    0:00:00 (xfr#1, ir-chk=1029/137212)

Number of files: 253,829 (reg: 240,772, dir: 11,841, link: 1,216)
Number of created files: 1 (reg: 1)
Number of deleted files: 0
Number of regular files transferred: 1
Total file size: 1.31T bytes
Total transferred file size: 14.34K bytes
Literal data: 14.34K bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 3.01M
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 7.35M
Total bytes received: 13.92K

sent 7.35M bytes  received 13.92K bytes  169.37K bytes/sec
total size is 1.31T  speedup is 177,729.38
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
k1s

Post by k1s »

Thanks unfortunately I'm not a unix-proficient person, and know very little about rsync other than it's a tool/protocol/command that sits underneath many backup GUIs (that's how expected to be able to use it from ADM). Can you suggest a simple (not destructive/easy to reverse test?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Try this simple sync from your NAS to the backup target. Create and put some test files in /share/Public/test. Just edit the following to match your environment then copy & paste in putty. Change the IP from 192.168.1.1 to your target server's IP/host. Make sure the target server has this /test path and permission to write. a is archive, h is human readable, t is preserve timestamp and v is verbose. You can learn more about the switches using "rsync -h".

rsync -ahtv /share/Public/test rsync://192.168.1.1/test
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

k1s

Post by k1s »

Thanks,

I tried:

rsync -ahtv test/  ks@192.168.1.121:/"Local Backups"
and got

ks@192.168.1.121's password:
sending incremental file list
ERROR: module is read only
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1131) [Receiver=3.0.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /asustor/branch3_5_2021_07_09/x64_g3/source/rsync-3.0.9/io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

You're doing rsync over ssh tunneling. Both ends must have the user permission to read for source and write for target similar to sftp or scp. To achieve your initial goal you've posted that's using without encryption, use the rsync:// prefix protocol. For this, the target server must be setup running with rsyncd which have the access setup for the user ks and target path in its rsyncd.conf. You can google more for rsyncd. The D stands for daemon.

There's no info about your target server so I can't comment much but you can simulate a loopback test with Asustor's Rsync Server in the Services option. Just enable the Rsync Server, leave all to default then add the backup module a.k.a. target path with authentication. Give it a simple name i.e. mybackup then provide a target path. Finally add the user/password in manage user. Then go back to the Backup and Restore add the NAS IP as the target followed by the rest of the details required.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

k1s

Post by k1s »

Thanks again for your reply.
Nazar78 wrote:You're doing rsync over ssh tunneling.
I didn't know I was doing that. I don't know any other way to bring up a command line window / terminal on the Asustor.
Nazar78 wrote: "Both ends must have the user permission to read for source and write for target"
I think they have. The same username and password for with r/w access to each of the folders and the same username and password specified as the backup "module" name at the destination.
Nazar78 wrote:use the rsync:// prefix protocol. For this, the target server must be setup running with rsyncd which have the access setup for the user ks and target path in its rsyncd.conf
I found this - https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-setup-th ... n-on-linux. It seems awfully complicated having to install stuff just to test to try find out why the GUI-based transfer isn't working.
Nazar78 wrote:There's no info about your target server
It's a Synology DS916+ running DSM 6. In the GUI it has an option to turn on the rsync service, asks for an SSH port number and asks which user accounts can use the rsync service. That's it. The rsync version is 3.09 (same as the Asustor)
Nazar78 wrote:you can simulate a loopback test with Asustor's Rsync Server in the Services option. Just enable the Rsync Server, leave all to default then add the backup module a.k.a. target path with authentication. Give it a simple name i.e. mybackup then provide a target path. Finally add the user/password in manage user. Then go back to the Backup and Restore add the NAS IP as the target followed by the rest of the details required.
Not quote sure what you mean by this. Do you mean run an rsync backup from the Asustor NAS to the Asustor NAS using rsync? I've tried that & it works fine, just not to the remote server
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I found this - https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-setup-th ... n-on-linux. It seems awfully complicated having to install stuff just to test to try find out why the GUI-based transfer isn't working.
That's just the initial setup on a typical Linux just for your info if you were to set it up on a typical OS like Ubuntu, CentOS, Raspberry Pi or Debian etc. GUIs like ADM and DSM already have that covered for you.
Not quote sure what you mean by this. Do you mean run an rsync backup from the Asustor NAS to the Asustor NAS using rsync? I've tried that & it works fine, just not to the remote server
Yes that's to test the Remote Sync backup from the Asustor NAS Backup & Restore to the same Asustor NAS Rsync Server. If that works then the issue is with the target server, the DSM 6 in this case. You can also test the opposite direction, rsync from the DSM to ADM.

I don't have a DSM to test right now but I know it should work remembered playing with it long ago. I saw something posted over at DSM forum that you might want to give it a try -> add the user to the rsync privileges list in Control Panel -> Privileges -> rsync.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”