Upgrade AS6404T from 2 disk raid 1 to 4 disk raid 5?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

cliver
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Upgrade AS6404T from 2 disk raid 1 to 4 disk raid 5?

Post by cliver »

When I purchased the AS640 I couldn't afford 4 drives for it. So I got 2 to start with and set them up as raid 1.
I now have 2 more on order now and want to upgrade to 4 disk raid 5.
I am a little confused by asustor help pages??
The page on Online Raid Migration specifically mentions raid 1 to 5
https://www.asustor.com/admv2?type=2&su ... 35&lan=eng
The page on online raid level migration and expansion seems to suggest I need to migrate my da off the nas and re import it after set up.
https://www.asustor.com/online/College_topic?topic=352
Can anyone point me to a definitive guide on doing this please?
orion

Re: Upgrade AS6404T from 2 disk raid 1 to 4 disk raid 5?

Post by orion »

The second anchor is a correct guide. Note: The size of the 2 new disks should be equal to or larger than the old disk size.

Simply insert new disks into NAS, then follow the guide. Oh, it's an online migration process. You don't need to shutdown NAS. You can even access your data during the whole process (of course, speed should be slow).
cliver

Post by cliver »

orion wrote:The second anchor is a correct guide. Note: The size of the 2 new disks should be equal to or larger than the old disk size.

Simply insert new disks into NAS, then follow the guide. Oh, it's an online migration process. You don't need to shutdown NAS. You can even access your data during the whole process (of course, speed should be slow).
Thanks orion.
Just to clarify where it states at 1.1
Note: RAID 0 or JBOD volumes cannot migrate to other RAID levels. Data will need to be offloaded to another storage device to set up a new RAID array.
I don't need my own other storage device. It will be offloaded automativally and remotely as part of the process and I will end up with my current filesystem and files but on a 4 disk array?
Sorry, I'm being paranoid, I already lost my data due to a lightening strike and had to recover it. Would hate to have to do it again :cry:
cliver

Post by cliver »

Sorry, forget that. Just realised it says you can't come from raid 0 not raid 1. Must read more carefully.
cliver

Post by cliver »

Upgraded to RAID 5 seems to have worked OK.
However, I have 4 x 4TB HDD in raid 5 configuration. Shoulkd I not have 12GB og available storage and 4 TB for protection?
Storage Manager is showing 3.63TB wich is 1 drives worth.
See attached screenshots.
Have I set something wrong?

Images don't seem to be uploading so to precis what they show:
Volume shows volume1 raid5 good
Drive shows 4 health 4TB disks
The overview shows 4 disks all deployed in volume1 but only 3.63TB of total storage.
orion

Post by orion »

I guess you did not expand capacity. (I actually think ADM should do this action automatically, but apparently not.)
After RAID synchronized, ADM web -> Storage Manager -> Volume -> Select volume, there should be a button "Expand Capacity" appeared. Press it.
cliver

Post by cliver »

orion wrote:I guess you did not expand capacity. (I actually think ADM should do this action automatically, but apparently not.)
After RAID synchronized, ADM web -> Storage Manager -> Volume -> Select volume, there should be a button "Expand Capacity" appeared. Press it.
I did wonder If that was what was missing. Thanks orion.
However when I press that I get an error window pops up saying
Unknown error.: Cannot apply settings. (Ref. 5401)
Odd because everything looks to be OK. Any ideas why/how I can get round this?
orion

Post by orion »

Oops, that's out of my expectation. I don't know what's the error code and how to get rid of it without detailed log. I'll suggest you to send a support ticket to asustor. They should be able to fix it remotely. https://support.asustor.com/

If you get answer, can you please post what's wrong here? I'm very curious about it. (I did the process before without problems.)

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”