How to backup Volume1 or all applications in Volume1

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

CasaWongo
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to backup Volume1 or all applications in Volume1

Post by CasaWongo »

Hi,
I have an AS1004T v2 and a very flaky volume1 - basically, whenever I have to reset the NAS, volume1 would become inaccessible and the only way to recover is to remove the drive and recreate it. Which means reinstalling all the apps again. I have a simple <200GB drive for volume 1 and Disk Doctor doesn't report any problem with the drive. I want this drive to install all my apps and I have volume 2 that is set for RAID 1 for my data.

My question is there a way to use an app to backup Volume1 or the key folders so I don't need to reinstall my apps and reconfigure the settings? Thanks
orion

Re: How to backup Volume1 or all applications in Volume1

Post by orion »

How do you "reset" your NAS? Did you see any logs (ADM web -> System Information -> Log) when volume-1 is inaccessible?
CasaWongo

Post by CasaWongo »

Hi,
So first I did a restart through the ADM menu.. after the system is back up, I noticed the Volume1 became "inaccessible". I then did a reset (behind the NAS next to the power) and sometimes volume1 would come back with all the saved applications. But in the last few tries, I wasn't able to get Volume1 back and had to go through recreating it. I checked the log and it didn't show anything bad about the drive.

I have come to accept this problem for now.. but would like to figure out a way to backup all the apps and settings in Volume1.
orion

Post by orion »

"Recreating volume 1" means you lose all of your data in volume 1. It's a severe problem. And I did not encounter this problem before. No one knows what's the root cause without detailed information. I think you should keep the failed status, then ask asustor to remotely check your NAS. (https://support.asustor.com/) Or you might encounter the same next time.
CasaWongo

Post by CasaWongo »

Hi Orion,

My original question was "is it possible to backup volume 1 so I can restore it?"
orion

Post by orion »

It depends. If you are familiar with Linux commands, yes. If you mean ADM GUI, no.
Besides, I'm not sure whether all applications are backup after you backup the whole volume 1. AppCetral database might store onto the system volume.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”