Backup Strategy Questions (WARNING: LONG POST)

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

t2000kw
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup Strategy Questions (WARNING: LONG POST)

Post by t2000kw »

I’ll number my questions to make it easy for anyone to respond to just one or two parts of this post.

I have some questions about a backup and restore plan with my Asustor 6606T NAS. I have been using Easus Todo Backup Home (paid version--we'll call it Backup Home from here on). It allows making full system backups, partition backups, and also incremental backups. The paid version, which I have a lifetime license to, also allows you to restore from both full and incremental backups. The free version will allow incremental backups, but you have to buy the paid version to restore those. The paid version is what I have and would like to use, but I am open to other suggestions for free or paid software. Keep in mind I have 3 laptops, possibly another if I repair it from liquid damage, probably mostly keyboard replacement, but I don’t want to go broke buying multiple licenses to cover them all. I can handle buying two more licenses for what I use now (or 3 more). I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS FOR ALTERNATIVES TO SOFTWARE as long as I can do incremental and full system image backups and restores, or can do some combination of one full system backup and file backups.

I have used the Win PE CDROM I made from within Backup Home to boot in the CD tray and run system image backups to an external 1 TB drive up until this time. Now that I have a NAS, I’d like to do most or all of it over wifi. I can probably just use the bootable CDROM, even in the laptop without a built-in optical drive using a USB external optical drive. I am open to doing the full system backup images over an Ethernet cable or USB cable.

First set of questions:

1. Is it practical to do a full system image backup over wifi?
2. Can I do the same with an Ethernet cable with this NAS?
3. Can I do the initial full system image backup through the USB port on the NAS? (If so, how to do it?)

Next is backing up Android devices and my Chromebook:

4. What software can be used for Android backups to my “personal cloud” NAS?

As for alternative software for my Windows backups:

5. What other software might be worth looking at for backups? I see Aomei backup as a free alternative but don’t know if it does incremental backups and ALSO incremental restores after the initial full backup. I am not opposed to buying multiple licenses if the total for all 3 or 4 laptops doesn’t cost me much over $100, and I prefer lifetime licenses over single version licenses and definitely don’t care for subscription-based software.

I also have a Linux laptop:

6. What software do you recommend for the Linux laptop? I could use the bootable Windows PE Backup Home disc and just select all partitions to make a full system image backup once in a while but I don’t know if Backup Home will work under Crossover (which I get for free as a beta tester but essentially, it’s an enhanced version of WINE ).

I need whatever solution I end up using to be simple enough for my wife to use and she is not a computer geek.

Thanks for reading this, and also for your responses if you’re able to offer suggestions. I have read through the manual but some of it didn’t sink in, so please don’t just reply with “read the factory manual” as a response, but citing a page number in the manual could actually be helpful.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”