Internal Backup has no 'sync' mode?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

S_Racing
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Internal Backup has no 'sync' mode?

Post by S_Racing »

Hi,

I am using the 'Internal Backup' function to make regular backups of several directories on my AS6508 NAS from 'Volume 1' to a seperate 'MyArchive' drive. So far, I am able to copy files, but I am looking for a way to do a synchronisation job (means any file that was deleted in the source directory will also be deleted in the target dirctory).

By checking potential options how to sync files to the 'MyArchive' drive, I got more questions but no solution.

- One option in the menu is something like "Skip existing files if not modified" (Original text in German language is "Bestehende Dateien überspringen, falls nicht modifiziert"). This option is not documented in the Asustor Online Help so my interpretation was it enables a 'differential backup' mode (only copies files that have changed' - but by testing this, if I do not enable this option it always copies only changed files (at least there is no difference in the speed that the job is done, and differential mode should be much a faster done).
==> Can anybody confirm what is the function of this option?

- The option "1-on-1 file synchronisation" only works with all directories selected for backup source (also somewhat described in the Online Help), but that also selects automatically the 'MyArchive' as a source too. So this would mean I do automatically a backup of the backup?!?!

Bottomline, my key question is: How can I create a real synchronisation backup of my NAS volume to a 'MyArchive' drive?

Thanks for support on this.

Regards
Marcus
orion

Re: Internal Backup has no 'sync' mode?

Post by orion »

You should try remote sync: ADM web -> Backup & Restore -> Remote Sync. Of course, you need to enable rsync service first (ADM web -> Settings -> Sync Server). You'll need to enable "1-on-1 file synchronisation".
S_Racing

Post by S_Racing »

Hmmm, thanks for the input, but it looks like using 'Remote Sync' has similar issues on the 'Backup of the Backup' issue I described before.

What I tried:
- Enabled rsync service under (ADM web -> Services -> Sync Server)
- Created seperate 'backup modules' for each source (root) directory that I want to backup
- Create a 'backup module' for the MyArchive drive (seems I have to do this as later on the 'Remote Sync' backup function only offers target directories that have a backup module)
- In (ADM web -> Backup & Restore -> Remote Sync) I create a new backup job using '127.0.0.1' as server adress
- Now here comes the problem: If I select '1-on-1-Synchronisation', automatically all (!) directories are selected by Remote Sync as a backup source - and that includes the backup target directory which is my MyArchive drive as I had to list it as a 'backup module' before. Otherwise it would not be shown as a backup target in Remote Sync when defining the backup job.

It still looks for me that there is no proper way to do a synchronisation backup of a volume to a MyArchive drive? At least not without adding each time a backup of the MyARchive drive in parallel ?

What did I miss?

Regards
Marcus
orion

Post by orion »

S_Racing wrote: - Now here comes the problem: If I select '1-on-1-Synchronisation', automatically all (!) directories are selected by Remote Sync as a backup source - and that includes the backup target directory which is my MyArchive drive as I had to list it as a 'backup module' before. Otherwise it would not be shown as a backup target in Remote Sync when defining the backup job.
You can select one directory / sub-directory if you enable "1-on-1-Synchronisation". Simply click "the triangle icon" on the right side of name, it should show you sub-directories. If you still get troubles, post the screen picture here.
EDIT: the left side of the name.
S_Racing

Post by S_Racing »

Thanks Orion. That input clearifies a lot. I tested it and indeed I can confirm that activating the '1-on-1-Synchronisation' still allows to select a directory (only one) although that selection is not very userfriendly marked. The light gray marking is hard to be recognized as a valid parameter for a system critical function.

However, by knowing this my backup now works in real 'sync' mode. And it works not only 'Backup & Restore -> Remote Sync', it also works the same way for 'Backup & Restore -> Internal Backup'.

One more question: Since every MyArchive drive has its own number (eg. 'MyArchive 1'), is there a way I select the target in a way that allows me to use every week a different MyArchive drive without changing the parameter for the target of the backup jobs? So far, I have to change the target drive in the Backup & Restore config from 'MyArchive 1' to 'MyArchive 2' if I place a new drive in my NAS, but would be perfect if there is a way just to change the drive in the slot without adapting the backup config.
orion

Post by orion »

S_Racing wrote: One more question: Since every MyArchive drive has its own number (eg. 'MyArchive 1'), is there a way I select the target in a way that allows me to use every week a different MyArchive drive without changing the parameter for the target of the backup jobs? So far, I have to change the target drive in the Backup & Restore config from 'MyArchive 1' to 'MyArchive 2' if I place a new drive in my NAS, but would be perfect if there is a way just to change the drive in the slot without adapting the backup config.
I think a feasible solution is to create different backup & restore tasks (i.e., task1 with target MyArchive 1, task2 with target MyArchive 2...). Select the specific task when you put a specific archive drive. It's ugly, but working.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”