AS5202T default shared folders / Backup using Acronis

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

bbdude
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS5202T default shared folders / Backup using Acronis

Post by bbdude »

I am a new owner of an Asustor AS5202T. I'm still very much at the beginning of the learning curve. I bought the AS5202T as a replacement for a Buffalo LinkStation LS220D081 NAS which only supports SMBv1. I have been using Acronis True Image to do backups on 3 separate Windows 10 PC's I have here in the house.

I have installed and initialized 1 Western Digital WD102PURZ 10TB HDD into the AS5202T.

I now need to switch my backup schemes for these 3 PC's to backup to the AS5202T. The first thing I need to figure out is what directory on the AS5202T to wrte the backups to. I see in the Asustor User Guide that :
"After initialization, the system will automatically create a shared folder “public”. By default, all users can access the files in this folder. Additionally, the system will automatically create a personal folder for each user (using the user’s account name) that by default, can only be accessed by the mentioned user."

Using Windows 10 File Explorer and also the ADM File Explorer, I only see the following directories have been created: Home, Public, and Web. Should I create new top-level directories for backup or should I create directories underneath one of these initial directories?

Also, I need to create a directory structure on the NAS for sharing files between the 3 PC's I have here in the house. Same question as above -- should I create these shared directories underneath Home, Public, Web, or some new top-level directory? The use for these shared directories would be for myself and I am the admin for all 3 of the aforementioned PC's.

Lastly, I need to create shared directories on the AS5202T for other members of my family that I allow on my WiFi and access to my LAN. Similar question to above, ie where should these directories reside on the AS5202T?
orion

Re: AS5202T default shared folders / Backup using Acronis

Post by orion »

You should consider user, then data. Create users for all members within NAS. "Home" is the shared folder that can utilize only by each owner (normally). Every user owns his / her home shared folder (name, home, is the same). You can create another shared folders when you plan to share data among some members. For example, budget shared folder can only be accessed by you and your wife.
bbdude

Post by bbdude »

Ok thanks for your response Orion. So I think I am understanding you that when the User's manual says "... system will automatically create a personal folder for each user (using the user’s account name) ...", this is equivalent to the Home directory that was created when I initialized my AS5202T, correct?

So if I want to have Acronis write and read backups to my AS5202T, if I create a directory structure underneath Home, I will be the only person who can access these backups, correct? That would be my desired access setup for these backups.
orion

Post by orion »

That's correct. The only exception is admin (or root) user that can access those "home" directories if setup correctly.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”