what to do after Initialize? how to mount old hdd

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
angel2
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

what to do after Initialize? how to mount old hdd

Post by angel2 »

Hello, please help. I take out all hdd except hdd1 and did initialize on hdd1. Now when I put in my other hdd they are not recognized. How can I keep using them? How to mount them to see files in File Explorer? Can I restore without connecting to ubuntu linux with usb to sata
adapter? thanks
Nazar78

Re: what to do after Initialize? how to mount old hdd

Post by Nazar78 »

We need more details, how many disks? Which Raid level? I assumed Raid 1? If you initialized only the 1st hdd then you should be able to swap the 1st to 2nd hdd and still see your data assuming it's Raid 1 in degraded array. If it's a Raid 5 you'll need 2 or 3 (depend on original setup) of the other hdds in degraded array without the 1st hdd to see your data. Turn off the NAS before swapping don't do any hot swap. If after swapping you can see your data assuming you've done nothing to the array, I would recommend do backup immediately to an external drive because from what you did it will need to wipe the raid metadata superblock (warning, data will be lost) in order to use it again on a new array.

Else you'll need to connect those hdds to an external Linux machine to recover the data something like this https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/ ... using-a-pc
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
angel2

Post by angel2 »

thanks for reply, I think its 0 or 1.
I actually didnt format hdd1, there was some problems with ADM so I decided to take out all hdd, then put inside hdd1 slot - clean hdd, while asustor was shut down, then after putting in the hdd, it asked me do I want to initialize, I clicked yes, after that I see fresh working install of ADM, but when I tried to put in my old hdd, it shows up in storage manager, but there are no volumes or my old shared folders, and it says status:inactive.

can I make a command with ssh to mount my old hdd with new ADM?
can I keep using my old hdd with new ADM or I have to format?
dont have usb to sata adapter yet, what else can I do to access my old files?
nothing is broken, everything works good with asustor, I just dont understand how to access my old asustor hdd’s on new adm install?
thanks again
orion

Post by orion »

angel2 wrote:thanks for reply, I think its 0 or 1.
You lost your data if it's RAID-0.
angel2 wrote: can I make a command with ssh to mount my old hdd with new ADM?
can I keep using my old hdd with new ADM or I have to format?
dont have usb to sata adapter yet, what else can I do to access my old files?
nothing is broken, everything works good with asustor, I just dont understand how to access my old asustor hdd’s on new adm install?
thanks again
If it's RAID-1, you should lean command "mdadm --assemble". Your data should be located onto partition 4.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

and it says status:inactive
Screenshots might help as we don't know your full setup. You see this in the disk list? Then there is a problem with this particular harddisk. It needs to be recovered using a Linux machine. I've encountered inactive hdd previously due to many bad sectors. If it's a mirror Raid 1 then there's hope, but striped Raid 0 will result in data lost unfortunately.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
angel2

Post by angel2 »

The question is what to write in SSH to mount old hdd and see its files in File Explorer for example?
(on asustor after initialize with new hdd), everythingb is almost new and no errors.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Nothing could be done in ssh to mount as your array is broken. With no details nothing we can help. Suggest you open a ticket with Asustor support https://support.asustor.com/.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

angel2

Post by angel2 »

how can I backup my files if I get a linux machine? Instructions on asustor support seem pretty easy, but its only to access files, how can I move them if its like 5-10TB of files?
I have 5 disks with 10TB each of files that need backup. if I buy some more hdd and insert them how can I move my old files to them?

can I somehow mount old hdd on new adm, and move files like this?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Provided if you can still access the files on the Linux machine, you can copy over to an external drive or do a LAN transfer to the new ADM.

You have still not yet provided your previous setup details especially the NAS model so we don't know how to help. Now you say 5 disks with 10TB each of files? Previously you said Raid 0 or 1? It's confusing it's more likely Raid 5 or 6 or JBOD we don't know but definitely you won't be able to mount your old hdds on the new ADM you need to do it on a Linux machine. There's another method but it'll be too complex so I suggest you contact Asustor support.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

angel2

Post by angel2 »

thanks Nazar78 I contacted them.
any ideas how can I do this without linux machine?
I dont remember which type it was 0, 1 or 5. I think I selected “Single”, my drives were not connected I think. Thanks for good idea about lan transfter from linux to adm, that is a good idea, I ordered usb to sata adapter so I can do this. It would be nice to find out if its possible to mount them on adm without linux, with ssh.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”