Scheduled backups windows server 2012

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

loopess
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Scheduled backups windows server 2012

Post by loopess »

Hello
I have an Asustor AS1002T v2 device and I have a problem with making scheduled backups, because I have to be logged in as an administrator (windows server 2012r2). Is it possible to run a backup even when the administrator is not logged in? You can then run various scripts and programs, and ABP won't start.
orion

Re: Scheduled backups windows server 2012

Post by orion »

There are some ways to do backup. What's your procedure to do backup? Your information is too few to understand what's your problem.
loopess

Post by loopess »

I need to run an automatic backup of selected files without logging in as an administrator. ABP is to start when the administrator is logged off, but is to use the administrator account.
orion

Post by orion »

I can run ABP using my personal account (although it's Win7, but I guess it should be the same in Win server 2012), not administrator. I can do backup job in ABP without problems.
loopess

Post by loopess »

I explain again, windows server 2012r2, ABP is to start a scheduled backup even when the administrator is logged out (the server is working all the time
orion

Post by orion »

I believe that's a new feature for ABP. There are some variations: start ABP with user-1, logout user-1, login user-2. Should user-1 backup job be still working when user-2 login? Can user-2 manage user-1 backup job? Anyway, you may raise this request to asustor directly or write an article in forum's "Feature Requests" section.
loopess

Post by loopess »

1. I don't have permanent access to the server, only remote access
2. I cannot be logged in as an administrator all the time for security reasons
3. backup must be completely automatic because it has to be late at night when all users are no longer working.
4. the created backup is visible, but it is not performed when the administrator is not logged in. Backup is to be performed automatically without the need to log the administrator on the serve
orion

Post by orion »

If I were you, I'll setup rsync in NAS. Then setup scheduled rsync tasks in Windows server. You can find the example: https://www.rsync.net/resources/howto/w ... rsync.html

It might take long time to wait for ABP updates.
loopess

Post by loopess »

I was able to solve this problem very easily, without installing any additional software.
Asustor backup plan adds a job to the
task schedule that cannot be edited or changed. In order for the abp to perform an automatic backup even if the administrator is not logged in, you need to create a new additional task in the task schedule with appropriate parameters running in parallel with the task created during the installation of abp.
orion

Post by orion »

Wow! That's new for me. Thanks for sharing this.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”