Full Desktop Backup :?:

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

voxhel
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Full Desktop Backup :?:

Post by voxhel »

Hi,

I'm reviving this post, because the 1st question on top:

## ERRORs##
"DriveC: (32) The process cannot access the fie because is being used by another process: [C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT]"
"DriveC: (32) The process cannot access the fie because is being used by another process: [C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalNetworkService\NTUSER.DAT]"

This question, and due to the fact the this his happening in C: and its system files … I have accepted the explanation.

But know on a diferent Drive (D:\) so no system files there, my backup his failing on the VMware Workstation VMDKs files!

** BackupPlan.exe is running as Local Administrator. **

I need the backup of the Virtual Machines to be successful, and of course the virtual machines area in use!

What his the solution?

Regards.

Hélder
AS6210T
ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

Can you temporarily stop VMware?
orion

Post by orion »

I use BusyBox now, rather than VMware. However you can try to copy the files manually under Windows (ex: copy c:\somewhere-A\vmware.log c:\somewhere-B\vmware.log). If you cannot, it means VMware adopts the same technique as Windows system (for NTUSER.DAT).
voxhel

Re: Full Desktop Backup :?: BackupPlan Not For Backup ATTM

Post by voxhel »

Hi,

To me it's not acceptable that a backup software cannot make a backup of files from VMware. The laptop in questions, that hosts these vms, his used on a always on cenario, much like a desktop. So no shutting down host and no shutting down the VMs!

Not being abel to make these backups to theses files, makes the "BackupPlan" software a software that, should not be used for backup.

Where can I make an Official Request for the BackupPlan software include these features, has a Asustor Owner?

Regards.

Hélder
AS6210T
orion

Re: Full Desktop Backup :?: BackupPlan Not For Backup ATTM

Post by orion »

voxhel wrote: Where can I make an Official Request for the BackupPlan software include these features, has a Asustor Owner?
https://support.asustor.com/ Good luck.
aragorn

Post by aragorn »

To answer the initial question I regularly use clonezilla to image computers to a server /nas share. That way I have an image to revert back to "in case of a catastrophic failure of the HDD" on the machine as you describe. There are a number of posts online detailing the process, however this requires taking the machine offline while imaging. If you are talking about a live backup of a system for bare metal recovery, there are other tools (built-in or 3rd party) for this depending on OS.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”