Restore a hardware encrypted HDD without NAS (broken)

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
Danny
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Restore a hardware encrypted HDD without NAS (broken)

Post by Danny »

Hello, my NAS is broken and the Files are encrypted by Asustor Encryption. Is there any way to get my data from the harddrives without the Asustor NAS hardware?

Sorry for my bad english :cry:
father.mande

Re: Restore a hardware encrypted HDD without NAS (broken)

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Only Asustor have this information (as I know) so calling support is the best way

As I know Asustor can use different tools (present in A.D.M.)
For disk encryption you can see Luks tools in builtin delivery
For folder (share) encryption (I think it's the common) it seems to use eCryptfs to encrypt and mount shared folder encrypted.

BUT this information are based on tools provide with A.D.M. ... others hidden tools can exist in ...

If you don't get the information from support, you can try using an Ubuntu Linux system (or V.M. on Linux, Windows or Mac) with Raid, btrfs and encrypt tools (ecryptfs-utils) packages
The how-to is :
connect one by one disks in Ubuntu (use USB dock(s) for ex.) in Raid order and identify the device associated
reassemble the Raid (partition 4 of each disk) if necessary
if folder encryption
mount the file system using ext4 or btrfs
mount each encrypted folder with the corresponding keys
if disk encryption
mount the file system using luks tools with the corresponding keys

This is theoretical, because I don't test it (on Asustor NAS, only on other NAS brand)

If you get more detail from support, we can eventually (because support normally send you a full solution) have a more precise help.

Philippe.
NB in all case, when encryption method is fully know ... some specialized company can recover data for you (if you have keys or save on file of the keys)
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”