AS204T - Expand Capacity though with RAID 0

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
maineiac13
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS204T - Expand Capacity though with RAID 0

Post by maineiac13 »

I currently have an AS204T which has two separate RAID 0 volumes. (This is merely a backup NAS and I understand the issues with using only RAID 0). The discs in this NAS are currently 6TB each and I want to expand to 8TB each. One option for doing this is to simply remove the existing 4 discs (2 volumes), and insert the new 4 8TB discs and also then create 2 volumes. Then I could simply copy everything from another source to the new volumes. This would be done via an ethernet connection. And not sure how long that would take.

I was thinking of an alternate method and wonder if it will work. First remove volume 2 only and replace volume 2 with the two new discs. Then copy everything from volume 1 to volume 2. My assumption in doing this is that it will go quicker to copy from within the NAS than from an ethernet connection to that NAS.

Step 2 would be to then remove all 4 of the discs in the NAS. Then go back and put the original volume 2 back into the NAS and then the 2 new discs that had not been used yet. Then copy the original volume 2 onto the 2 new discs.

Step 3 would be to replace the old volume 2 discs with the new discs that I had copied volume 1 on in the first step.

So the question is will the NAS recognize the volumes correctly if I go through this procedure?

If not, I still could do at least step 1 and then use ethernet copying to create the other new volume. (Again, doing this at all only makes sense if it would be faster to copy via internal transfer of data from within then NAS rather than using ethernet for all copying...so any thoughts on that question are welcome.)

FYI - Volume 1 currently has about 4.3TB used while volume 2 has about 6.5TB.

Thanks for any ideas, Ken
orion

Re: AS204T - Expand Capacity though with RAID 0

Post by orion »

I believe the answer is no. ADM can only support capacity expansion by this way: https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=352.
maineiac13

Re: AS204T - Expand Capacity though with RAID 0

Post by maineiac13 »

Thanks for your response...but I am really not attempting to save the data on the existing volumes which is why I am not trying to use the ADM method of expanding capacity.

In any event, I tried to see what was faster....using ethernet or using transfer directly between the two volumes on my NAS. Surprisingly, it turned out that using ethernet transfer was about the same speed and in fact appears to be a little faster...so I don't need to worry about this at all. I will just remove the old discs, insert the new ones and then copy the data via ethernet back to the new volumes on the NAS.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”