File Encryption & Backup Strategies w/ ADM (AS6104T)

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
B1ggJoe
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

File Encryption & Backup Strategies w/ ADM (AS6104T)

Post by B1ggJoe »

Hey Everyone!

I'm originally a QNAP NAS user, however I also just purchased my first ASUSTOR NAS. So far, I LOVE this NAS. It's a lower-end AS6104T. I also maxed the RAM out to 8GB. The only use case for this NAS is to store data:

- Important Files
- Important Docs
- Photos
- Videos
- Sensitive Files (encryption preferred)
- Sensitive Docs (encryption preferred)

I won't be using this NAS for anything else (e.g., Plex Server, Music Streaming, Virtualization, File Sharing, etc.).

I will be backing up data to both local external drives as well as the cloud (Google Drive or Amazon) and maybe even a remote Linux Server via RSYNC.

Even though I'm still learning the world (and apps) of ASUSTOR, I'm particularly interested in options with ADM and your own personal recipes/strategies for backup and encryption.

Thank you!

BJ
Marco@ASUSTOR

Re: File Encryption & Backup Strategies w/ ADM (AS6104T)

Post by Marco@ASUSTOR »

B1ggJoe wrote:Hey Everyone!

I'm originally a QNAP NAS user, however I also just purchased my first ASUSTOR NAS. So far, I LOVE this NAS. It's a lower-end AS6104T. I also maxed the RAM out to 8GB. The only use case for this NAS is to store data:

- Important Files
- Important Docs
- Photos
- Videos

I won't be using this NAS for anything else (e.g., Plex Server, Music Streaming, Virtualization, File Sharing, etc.).

I will be backing up data to both local external drives as well as the cloud (Google Drive or Amazon) and maybe even a remote Linux Server via RSYNC.

Even though I'm still learning the world (and apps) of ASUSTOR, I'm particularly interested in options with ADM and your own personal recipes/strategies for backup and encryption.

Thank you!

BJ
Hi there! Thanks for purchasing an ASUSTOR NAS. In Access Control, shared folders can be created with encryption. As of right now, the Home folder cannot be encrypted so don't store sensitive files there. Permissions with the NAS or on a Windows level can be set and customised.

For file protection on that NAS against HDD failure. I recommend using RAID 5 as it allows one drive to die. The drive can then be swapped and it will rebuild automatically.

I'm fairly vanilla, I like using SMB Windows file sharing to transfer my files to and from the NAS. I had my uncle use ASUSTOR Backup Plan which automatically backups his files to a set location on the NAS from his PC.

We also have EZ Connect which allows for the ability to remotely access your NAS and files while away from the house. There are lots of things you can do.

Ask me questions if needed! Hope this helps!
B1ggJoe

Post by B1ggJoe »

Marco@ASUSTOR wrote:

- Important Files
- Important Docs
- Photos
- Videos

Thank you!

BJ
Hi there! Thanks for purchasing an ASUSTOR NAS. In Access Control, shared folders can be created with encryption. As of right now, the Home folder cannot be encrypted so don't store sensitive files there. Permissions with the NAS or on a Windows level can be set and customised.

For file protection on that NAS against HDD failure. I recommend using RAID 5 as it allows one drive to die. The drive can then be swapped and it will rebuild automatically.

I'm fairly vanilla, I like using SMB Windows file sharing to transfer my files to and from the NAS. I had my uncle use ASUSTOR Backup Plan which automatically backups his files to a set location on the NAS from his PC.

We also have EZ Connect which allows for the ability to remotely access your NAS and files while away from the house. There are lots of things you can do.

@Marco@ASUSTOR,

Thank you so much for responding! How does File Encryption work, when it comes to backup or syncing to Google Drive or DropBox?

Thanks!

BJ
Marco@ASUSTOR

Post by Marco@ASUSTOR »

B1ggJoe wrote:
Marco@ASUSTOR wrote:

- Important Files
- Important Docs
- Photos
- Videos

Thank you!

BJ

@Marco@ASUSTOR,

Thank you so much for responding! How does File Encryption work, when it comes to backup or syncing to Google Drive or DropBox?

Thanks!

BJ
It's more of a seamless encryption where you create the folder and just copy and paste files like you would normally and sync, similar to EFS in Windows, but if the key or passwords are lost, the data is unrecoverable.

This is what it looks like on my NAS, the folder with the lock is the encrypted one.
Attachments
AES.PNG
AES.PNG (389.21 KiB) Viewed 3526 times

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”